Menu

Teaching Textbooks and College Prep

camdunson

Hi all,

I need some advice. I have been using TT for math for 3 years now (4th-6th grade). I discovered last fall that TT runs about a grade behind the other curriculums, so we're doing two years this year (we'll finish Pre-Algebra in July or late August).

My question is: do I stay with TT for the high school math?

It seems to me if we switch it needs to be now, and it would probably be to Potter's school.

My kid is smart and good at math. No learning disabilities.

He wants to go into programming or engineering, so this is important.

Has anyone had a kid go all the way up with TT and how did they do on the college entrance exams?

We are using TT Algebra 1 this year. Content-wise, it covers the same algebra material as the other two algebra books I have here. In terms of being "a grade behind", I don't think that is true when you get to the upper level material. I have looked at their algebra 2 and precalc books and these are in-line with other publishers (I haven't looked at the geometry book yet, but plan to soon as we will be finishing up Alg 1 before long).

TT doesn't have a calculus book yet, but we will probably use the Stewart Calculus (DD18 used it this year) because I like it.

ETA: we've been pretty happy with TT Algebra 1. I will say that it doesn't have many practice problems. This has been fine for DD as she doesn't need much repetition, but could certainly be an issue for others. I have a couple of other algebra books handy in case we run into something where we need more problems.

Edited by AK_Mom4

Hi all,

I need some advice. I have been using TT for math for 3 years now (4th-6th grade). I discovered last fall that TT runs about a grade behind the other curriculums, so we're doing two years this year (we'll finish Pre-Algebra in July or late August).

My question is: do I stay with TT for the high school math?

It seems to me if we switch it needs to be now, and it would probably be to Potter's school.

My kid is smart and good at math. No learning disabilities.

He wants to go into programming or engineering, so this is important.

Has anyone had a kid go all the way up with TT and how did they do on the college entrance exams?

My dd8 is using TT Alg 1 for prealg. I would not suggest it for an older student who hopes/plans to pursue engineering.

I don't think it is necessary behind but the content is easy. When DS just finished SM 5A, I was checking differnt algebra program and was interested in using it. I was looking at the algebra program. DS was checking what I was doing He got interested and did all the sample lessons on line and score perfect score on every test. So, gather that, I guess it is behind on "difficulty" level. The content might cover everything but might not be the depth. I will admit it is a fun program to use. But I won't use it as a main program for engineering interested kid.

Lot's people here with mathy kids using Singapore NEM, DM or AoPS

My son did TT Algebra 1 last year (when he was in 7th grade) and scored advanced on the state testing. The only problem I found with it was that it didn't cover the quadratic equation, which I went over with him. I did notice that the Algebra 1 book has been revised this year and does cover that.

He is doing TT Geometry this year and I have been pleased with it.

Have you looked at VideoText Algebra and Geometry programs? I priced it to TT and the cost works out about the same. They have an online version now, too. That is all I know. I am still checking it out for mine.

My biggest beef with TT is it is too easy for a kid to glide along and not really learn a thing. I had this problem with my oldest son. My second math guy hates TT. He is quite happy with CLE. My best advice is if it ain't broke, don't mess with it. See it through. TT is a fine program.

We are about to start tt5 with my ds who is 9. TT4 seems to be above grade level in our school district. I have a friend whose son in the the local PS in grade 4 and he has just started to cover some of the things that tt4 had at the beginning. I guess it depends on your school district whether or not it is on level or not.

Have you looked at VideoText Algebra and Geometry programs? I priced it to TT and the cost works out about the same. They have an online version now, too. That is all I know. I am still checking it out for mine.

My biggest beef with TT is it is too easy for a kid to glide along and not really learn a thing. I had this problem with my oldest son. My second math guy hates TT. He is quite happy with CLE. My best advice is if it ain't broke, don't mess with it. See it through. TT is a fine program.

:iagree: We had a similar experience. I have two in college now that went through TT in high school. Both scored high enough on the ACT to skip some math classes and they're keeping up just fine in calc.