Menu

Harry Potter at Universal Orlando, anyone been there?

Many of you know my Dad has cancer and doesn't have much time left. One of his wishes is a trip to FL with the kids. We know all there is to know about Disney, but we're not sure about The Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal Orlando. My kids and I love Harry Potter, but I'm not sure if we'd enjoy the rides. I was looking at the sight and I so want to see inside Hogwarts, but I'm not sure I could handle the ride. I really hate that they make these things but they are not always appropriate for people with fears of heights, or motion sickness. I don't want to miss out on seeing things like the Gryffendor common room and the Room of Requirement because I can't handle motion rides.

Would it even be worth going if you're not one that loves roller coasters or the 3d motion rides make you ill?

We went in 2010 and honestly, the castle ride was pretty jarring. My dh and son loved it and rode many times. My dd and I only rode once. It's dark and goes up and down facing you toward scenes from the movie. There is a snake that comes out at you and spits water on you. That scared me! But my main complaint was how it moved you through the darkness was jerky. The spiderman ride at that same park is the same way and had I known I would have skipped it too.

The village itself is super cool. The stores and amazing. There was a larger roller coaster that my kids weren't big enough for but dh liked it. It has 2 different sides to it but he only rode one. Not sure if they both are the same or different. The smaller coaster in front of the castle was decent. Smooth enough, but a kid coaster for sure. My dd and I rode that 4 more times, lol.

I would go back just for the butterbeer honestly. It's expensive for one day but gosh, that butterbeer ROCKED!

I would think you could get in line for the castle ride and duck out just before getting on it. The line has a lot of cool features while you wait. Talking pictures and feels like you are in the castle. They did a great job on making the castle. Our visit wasn't busy and I actually wanted to stand still and look around more than rush through to get on the ride. But most theme parks allow you to not get on the ride at the last minute. Something to think about.

Whatever you decide I hope your trip goes well and leaves wonderful memories of your father for you and your kids.

We went last May. My DH has terrible motion sickness (read: gets sick just from riding in the car). He definitely would not have been able to do the Forbidden Journey ride. It is pretty intense. My 7 year old son went on it with me and was a little scared during the ride. If you cannot ride, you have the option of walking through the castle to view it. I did this after the ride so that I could take more time to observe. It is really, really well done.

My DH was able to ride the Hippogriff ride, which is a much smaller, very low key coaster. In fact, he and the kids rode it several times.

The Dragon Challenge we did not ride as neither of my kids were tall enough to ride; however, it probably would be a bit much for people who get motion sickness.

Overall, the village and castle are really well done. There are lots of little storefronts you can recognize from the stories. Some are just "props" and some are actual stores. Ollivander's is great - albeit tiny. I suggest going there as soon as the gates open so you can be in the first group of people allowed in. If your kids are 10 or over, there's a good chance one of them will be chosen to have a wand "pick" them.

I really felt they could have done more with Zonko's and Honeydukes, although they were still quite fun. My kids loved the Owl Post, where you could buy postcards and have them mailed from Hogsmeade.

The pumpkin juice and butterbeer you can buy at the Three Broomsticks or from carts outside the castle were delicious.

IMHO the trip was worth it just to walk through Hogsmeade and the castle.

Also at Islands of Adventure are the Marvel Superhero Island (lots of LOUD attractions in this area - most of the rides would be too much for you if you get motion sickness), Toon Lagoon (awesome Dudley Doo-Right Falls ride and other water rides - you *will* get soaked - take a change of clothes), The Lost Continent (Pteranandon Flyers were cool - and DH was able to ride them without feeling sick) and Dr. Seuss World (fantastic for littles).

We all felt like the trip was worth it, even though DD was too small (5) to go on many rides and DH was not able to ride several due to his motion sickness.

If you cannot ride, you have the option of walking through the castle to view it. I did this after the ride so that I could take more time to observe. It is really, really well done.

Thank you for this. I'm ok with not being able to do the dragon ride. My oldest loves roller coasters but has gotten used to having to go it a lone while we wait for him since the others were too little and dh was on deployment or not able to be with us.

I just really didn't want to go for the castle and then not be able to go through without going on the ride. I suppose we could always walk through and then just let my oldest get on the actual ride.

We went in September 2011. It was brilliant!! I ride very little. Just about everything makes me sick :glare: And it was WELL worth it to go! The atmosphere is just amazing which makes it more than ok to not ride anything and still enjoy it.

In Hogwarts you can walk all the way through the line and near the last part of the queue there is a door that you walk out if you don't want to ride. I did this three times, just so I could take pictures and take time to browse the interior. The door lets you out right by where the guests get off the Forbidden Journey ride and then you walk down to Filch's Emporium gift shop. (If you go, the Maurader's Map is in here).

Dh and the dd's rode the Forbidden Journey. They all loved it but dh, who I have never seen get the slightest bit queasy in 22 years was a little dizzy and queasy after Forbidden Journey. Older dd felt the same. They didn't ride it again (weird, they rode EVERYTHING else!) but dd11 rode it two more times. I would not get on it if you suffer from any kind of motion sickness.

With Dramamine, I was able to ride The Flight of the Hippogriff, but only once. Lots of twists and turns, but very short. Worth it to see Buckbeak while you are going up the hill.

I also walked through The Dragon Challenge queue. It winds around with lots of Triwizard Tournament signs. Also back there is the flying car from book 2, Hagrid's Hut, and the Goblet of Fire. Those not riding the ride can turn back and wander back down the path after seeing the tent with the Goblet of Fire. There is a good view of the castle from this path and a good view of the crazy Dragon Challenge ride.

We had early entry and the first day there we went directly back to H.P. world and did Ollivander's first (dd11 got picked for the wand choosing the wizard, very exciting as it was on her 11th birthday!) Then we went straight to the castle and browsed around in there (and the rest of the family rode the ride). Then we spent the rest of the morning wandering around and exploring every inch of the place :D All the shops are small, but well worth it! Be prepared to drop a bundle of $$. Honeydukes is awesome! We had Butterbeer in the Hog's Head.

Just a pause to mention how much I LOVE butterbeer!!!!! :001_wub: Frozen and regular. Have a couple just to try and decide which you like better!!

We had lunch at The Three Broomsticks which was the best food we had at either park!

Check out all the windows in Hogsmeade. You'll see Gilderoy Lockhart books, Quidditch gear, owls, Hermione's dress. In Dervish and Banges you'll see the Monster Book of Monsters (caged of course).

I was never bored while waiting for my gang to get on and off a ride.

We spent two days at Islands of Adventure and a good portion of both days was spent in Harry Potter world. We couldn't get enough of it.

Honestly, we loved the rest of Islands of Adventure, too. The theme all around the park was spectacular. Jurassic Park and Dr. Suess land were our other favorites.

As someone who gets sick even riding in the front seat of a car, here is what I was able to ride:

Jurassic Park River Adventure water ride- rode at least four times, even better if you have seen Jurassic Park. We video taped this one, you could watch the whole ride (with our silly movie quotes) here

Flight of the Hippogriff - got dizzy but was ok once

Caro-Suess-el

The Cat in the Hat - though dh and the girls didn't like this one because it spins a bit, they were surprised it didn't make me sick

Dudley Do-Right's Ripsaw Falls -AWESOME but bring extra clothes. Soaking wet fun!! rode more than once

The Seuss Trolley Train Ride - good views of Suess Land it's on an elevated track

The Popeye Water ride was having maintenance, but I could have rode that. The family got me on Spiderman...just don't do it. Sick for a while after that one. NOT easy and mild.

Characters we saw were Wolverine, Storm, Rogue, Cyclops (X-men), Spiderman, The Grinch and Hop on Pop guy, Woody Woodpecker, and The Beaubaton and Durmstrang students (their show was cool!).

That is probably more than you needed to know but we had a ball! We left wanting to plan our next trip. Take a camera as there will be plenty of photo opportunities and you will want to remember this special time with your dad.:grouphug:

If you love Harry Potter, just being there is worth the visit! The wand show is cute but only one child gets picked from the crowd. Mostly you pick out your own wands at the shop ;) I really enjoyed walking thru the castle without going on the ride. I wish they'd made that ride more universally friendly but oh well. If you are going more than one day check into an annual pass for one of the adults. APH prices for the onsite hotels are often quite discounted. Once onsite you get that early hour admission and the express lines for rides. The water ride to the park is fun as well. We love the Portofino Bay. Last year we ended up with a free room one night and a free room upgrade. You never know. Oh, and the swimming pool is wonderful. Enjoy!

If you love Harry Potter, just being there is worth the visit! The wand show is cute but only one child gets picked from the crowd. Mostly you pick out your own wands at the shop ;) I really enjoyed walking thru the castle without going on the ride. I wish they'd made that ride more universally friendly but oh well. If you are going more than one day check into an annual pass for one of the adults. APH prices for the onsite hotels are often quite discounted. Once onsite you get that early hour admission and the express lines for rides. The water ride to the park is fun as well. We love the Portofino Bay. Last year we ended up with a free room one night and a free room upgrade. You never know. Oh, and the swimming pool is wonderful. Enjoy!

This is what we did. It was worth it. We stayed at the Royal Pacific. We also got a free room upgrade.

Thanks for all the tips. I love that I'll be able to walk through without riding a lot of them.

We may actually not even go to Universal because the kids feel bad that my dh won't be able to be with us and we're all HP freaks so we wanted to do it as a family, but dh will still be deployed.

We plan to stay on site at Disney as we're very familiar with it and know most of our time will be spent there. The only thing we really wanted to see at Universal was HP and maybe Seussville. We're not really fans of marvel or Jurassic Park.