Menu

ACS Chemistry users, how's it going?

We went through it earlier this year. I thought it was great! Love the powerpoint and the video demonstrations. We did very few of the experiments and just watched the videos instead. The student text pdfs are have very good kid-friendly explanations. I really do like it. That said, I was surprised that it was just 6 chapters long. We're following up with Ellen McHenry's Elements & Carbon Chemistry and then plan to do RS4K Chem II. (It will probably take us 2 yrs to finish this chemistry rotation.) The ACS curriculum was quick and effective but not as rigorous and deep as I had hoped. It did cover structure of atoms, ionic and covalent bonds, signs of chemical vs physical reaction. HTH!

I used this for the lab component to accompany the chemistry section of CPO Focus on Physical Science, Each week I picked one or two of the experiments to accompany our reading. I thought they were excellent, especially when enhanced with the multimedia portions that accompany the lessons. (My boys loved watching the very reactive chemical reactions!).

For my situation, the ACS program wasn't feasible to do as our main program since it would require daily teacher involvement. Since I'm also homeschooling others, it worked better for me to use as our lab component. Ds works from his text four days a week, and a fifth day is spent with me in discussion/lab work.

We're doing in ACS Inquiry in Action which is actually the Elementary curriculum. I'm using it with my 3rd and 6th and then the k'er participating as he desires.

We have completed Investigations 1-3. I loved 1 and 3 but struggled a little bit through 2. You can see some posts on my blog at www.chantelleg.blogsopt.com

I have my 6th grader read the What's Going On section at the end of each inquiry but not the 3rd grader. I have both of them make the observations for all the experiments and write them down on the student handout pages.

My kids have really enjoyed it and have definetly learned to be more observant and think critically about science.

• 2 months later...

I taught the Inquiry in Action in a co-op setting this year. It was very good, but somewhat dry. It is easy to implement and covers lots of material. I taught all seven units.

I looked at the Middle school level of chem. and showed it to my kids. They thought it looked boring and would rather learn from library books and beautiful books like the elements. I teach from the Illustrated Guide to Home Chem Experiments so I'm the odd one out that actually has the chemicals and equipment to do any experiments I want with my younger kids.