Menu

Tips and Tricks for doing well

Hello hive

I need your advice because I was not sure wear to post this. Anyway I want to know tips the have helped your dd´s and ds´s be productive and do lots of work quickly. I have the next 3 months pretty much dedicated to only homeschooling and I need to catch up and get ahead. Plus I have AP exams I need to get my stuff together and make my mom proud :D. I have been very unproductive and I have a very very very short attention span. Did I mention short?:lol: Alright hive mind give me your best tips.

ps sorry I know this is the parent forum but did not know were else to post this.

For us, the most important thing is to maximize productivity during productive hours which, for my kids, is the morning.

Get up early. Start working at a set time each day (mine start at 8am). Schedule short breaks, longer break for lunch.

Eliminate distractions. For us that means: no cell phone, phone calls, skype chats, appointments, field trips, socializing during school hours. It might mean staying away form the computer completely if you find yourself easily distracted.

Plan less demanding activities for the afternoon/weekend: listening to audio lectures, reading for English, watching videos. Do the hard work first thing.

Keep a log to see where time goes. My kids both have a simple agenda where they jot down each day how much they worked on which subject. This helps to spot ineffective days and neglected subjects.

Work hard and play hard. I find that I am more productive if I completely devote a certain time to work, and then also completely devote a time to "play" (hiking etc.) Halfheartedly doing a little bit of work all the time is not an effective way to get stuff done.

Thank You so much I do have to start getting up early but I have trouble sleeping so I usually wake up like 9:30. I sit up in bed at that time but by the time breakfast is served and shower its at least 10:30. So I am going to set my alarm to 7:00 tomorrow. I am also going to write out a daily schedule thanks for the fast reply!

For us, it is about keeping to a schedule and forming the habit of working. Bolster yourself. Prepare for the best but expect the worst tomorrow because (unfortunately :tongue_smilie:) you cannot wake up one day and expect the kids to perform efficiently just because you decide that day that, "We're going to start being super productive today!" (I'm not being harsh or snarky, I promise. I soooo wish this would actually work. :lol:) You have to wake up tomorrow and expect them to put you through the grinder. You will need to redirect, redirect, redirect. Schedule some switches in the type of work done (something creative after something regimented, physical after sitting a while, etc.) to help keep their stamina from flagging. They have to get into the habit of productivity but it will take time. If you have normal human children who are not currently in the habit of giving schoolwork their best effort, it's going to take weeks (perhaps even months), not days to get them there. Slow and steady wins the race! Good luck! :)

ETA: Sorry! I didn't understand it was for your schoolwork. I just saw how to help our sons and daughters. :lol: Anyway, the advice above still applies. Break up the difficult with the easier, physical with the seatwork, etc.

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

I see that you're traveling, so this may be more difficult, but feed yourself well. For me, that means lots of clean protein and veggies/greens and plenty of water. And make sure you're getting plenty of sleep. Burning the candle at both ends may work for a single exam, but does NOT foster productivity in the long term. (Believe me, I lived that way for years. It was awful.)

And I see that you're thinking about changing your schedule. That may be a good idea, but then again, in this short phase, it may not be. If you're not a morning person, it may take weeks to change your cycles, and during those weeks you may not be as productive as you normally are. I am not at all productive mentally in the mornings. If I even try to sit down to read a book I'm totally engaged with (i.e., NOT a school- or work-related book!) I fall instantly to sleep. So for now, you may be better off working with the sleep/wake cycles you already have. Pay attention to your body over the next few days and see when you feel most energized. Eating low carb can also help you fend off the afternoon slump. But then again, maybe a 30 minute nap will help you be more productive later in the day too! You have to watch your body and see what works for you.

Good luck, and good for you for taking the bull by the horns!

ETA: I forgot that zinc, fish oil, and B-spectrum supplements have been shown to help focus and mental productivity, and I have found that to be true for me. If you can get your hands on some, that may help you too (and surely can't hurt you!).