Menu

Need help. Ds needs to take a calc class & of course the cc isn't offering it...

Is this the "17ds (college student)"?

If he is a college student, wouldn't he have to find something acceptable to the college? I'm having a hard time imagining them accepting some other schools distance learning program just because they aren't offering it this term. An independent study would be more likely. He needs to approach a possible teacher and ask about it. Then pursue it with the administration.

If he is still a high school student, you can do whatever you want to.

Is this the "17ds (college student)"?

If he is a college student, wouldn't he have to find something acceptable to the college? I'm having a hard time imagining them accepting some other schools distance learning program just because they aren't offering it this term. An independent study would be more likely. He needs to approach a possible teacher and ask about it. Then pursue it with the administration.

If he is still a high school student, you can do whatever you want to.

Well he is a high school student in college. I do need to contact the schools in question. This is such a pain.

DD18 used AskDrCallahan's lecture series (comes with the Stewart Calculus). The lectures were really good and it comes with a syllabus and tests. DD double-timed it and finished it in one semester, but it is normally a year-long course. This is the same calculus book that the local university uses - she was intending to take the class there, but it filled up and she ended up doing this independent study.

She intends to test out of Calc one in the fall when she starts college.

Well he is a high school student in college. I do need to contact the schools in question. This is such a pain.

What does it mean " a high school student in college"? Dual enrollment?

Why does it have to be a *class*? Can't he just get a textbook and self study calculus, maybe use a tutor, or the math center of the college for occasional help? You don't need a class in order to learn math.

I don't know where you're located, so this may not apply at all.

Our cc has 2 main campuses and some smaller satellite locations.

Calc I is offered at the two main campuses only. There's only one night class at one location.

Calc II is offered at the two main campuses but the night course is only offered at one campus.

Did you check to see if there's another campus where your son could take it? You could also call the math department and see when and where it would be offered next. We do a brisk business in the summer with students taking calc at the cc rather than at the uni.

Good luck!

I don't know where you're located, so this may not apply at all.

Our cc has 2 main campuses and some smaller satellite locations.

Calc I is offered at the two main campuses only. There's only one night class at one location.

Calc II is offered at the two main campuses but the night course is only offered at one campus.

Did you check to see if there's another campus where your son could take it? You could also call the math department and see when and where it would be offered next. We do a brisk business in the summer with students taking calc at the cc rather than at the uni.

Good luck!

We were looking for the state online classes but no one is offering them until next fall.

Your entire state?

There are many Calc classes/online/DVD based in which you can have DS complete at his own pace (accelerated if wanting to complete in one semester).

Thinkwell (online), Larson (textbook with DVD;s) , and other known online Universities such as North Dakota...

Good luck you will find something!

Update: It only took a few days and a hundred phone calls, but he will be taking it from the public school via Apex Learning online, and meeting with an accredited teacher a couple times a week.

His number one university choice wanted it to be accredited so he could get credit for it. We could have just homeschooled it, but then we'd probably have more hoops to jump through later. This way I don't have to pay for the expensive class or a tutor. The alternative program doesn't normally do calculus, but they can do it. I cannot do calculus with him at home. It just wouldn't work.

So it has worked out. I wasn't sure it would. :)