Menu

xpost to K-8 board: Can't or won't write?

mo2

My 9yo, that is. I can't figure out if she simply refuses to write or if she really *can't* do it. She can do the physical act of writing. She does copywork well. If I dictate a sentence, she can write it (although I have to spell nearly every word aloud for her). But if I ask her to write a narration down, she freezes up. She says she can't do it. If I say, "Write me a sentence about a dog," she can't do it. We tried CW and the first lesson was to re-write one of Aesop's fables, and she couldn't do it. Of course she knew very well what the story was about, but she couldn't write it. She gets very upset, freaks out, even cries, until eventually I give it up and say we'll try again later. But later, we just have a repeat of the same. So what is going on here? What am I not seeing? *Can* she write? Or is she being super-amazingly stubborn?

I'm debating between IEW and WWE. Which would be best for this situation? Should I do both? Would that be overkill?

That doesn't sound like being stubborn. It sounds like being overwhelmed.

(A sentence about a dog actually sounds so open-ended... but I get your meaning. She may not.)

With both of my boys I spent probably more time than I needed on working through the narration process. Every time we did a story I would actually outline it with them, either one on one, or on the blackboard. Once we had it outlined I would first prompt them through the construction of the sentences, and now I will outline it and have them use the most pertinent pieces to create their own narration. But the board is there the whole way. Usually the majority of the tough spelling words are there, which removes the fright of not knowing how to spell "deserted" or "island." But the big thing is going through it first.

I don't know, maybe I keep the training wheels on too long. But it seems to be really paying off for us now that they are really taking off with constructing their own narrations.

CW spends four days working on a piece. I make sure my two know that as we go through it. The first narration is essentially a rough draft, as far as I am concerned. The work during the rest of the week is used for the final narration. I don't think that is exactly how it is supposed to work, but we actually talk about things like ways to make the narration shorter, more to the point, more descriptive, etc...along with the spelling and grammar end of things.

Definitely IEW. It breaks writing into tiny little pieces. I have used it successfully with both of my writing phobic boys and it has helped them immensely. The key word outline has been our saviour.

The author of IEW has clearly stated that if a child says that she cannot do a task (or cries) that you need to do more modelling. You cannot help too much. She will tell you when she is annoyed that you are helping. I never thought I would hear it, but my ds(8) told me just today when I tried to help, "I can do this." (meaning I can do this by myself, go away. :001_smile:)

Ruth in NZ

My daughter was the same way a few weeks ago. WWE 2 has really helped her understand exactly what is expected and hand holds a bit through condensing a story into 3 main events and then coming up with 2 or 3 sentences that tell what happened. After that, they write those 2 or 3 sentences. She is understanding what is wanted slowly and painlessly, and her confidence in writing has gone up as they explain each step in detail in a way I never could. I'm happy with it and have just sat back at this point and let the program do what it does because even if you don't see progress day to day, you'll wake up one day to the pieces snapping together.

I'm not sure that the curriculum matters as much as the teaching part of it. I like CW Aesop, but the actual instruction part to me was less clear than outlined in WWE: Strong Fundamentals. I got it because I liked adding in more grammar and spelling with the writing. I started out with WWE, and even that was too vague for my boys when we started. Really, a simple "What was the story about?" or "Tell me one thing you remember about the story?" left them gaping.

We had to get quite basic to start with, and I had to do a lot of re-reading. It used to frustrate me until I saw the opportunity to turn the re-reading into a guided narration. After that they began to be easier with the whole thing, and now they still listen to the narration I do with a longer piece and then write their own, branching out away from mine to focus on certain events of a story that they felt to have more importance to them on a personal level. I like that. And occasionally I still get to show them how to incorporate information that they left out but wanted to put in by altering sentences. At any rate, I had two little boys who had every possibility of detesting writing who now sit down and write creatively on their own. You can't believe my sigh of relief, because I could see the warning signs.

And as a note: I don't think I'd start a reluctant writer out on CW Aesop. WWE could be okay, as long as you are careful to show how the seemingly unrelated questions flow into a narrative. I've not used IEW, but if it does break down the writing process that is exactly what I'd recommend for your daughter. It really sounds like what she needs.

Edited by Critterfixer

I'm not sure that the curriculum matters as much as the teaching part of it.

You're right. I just posted on my other thread (since this is a crosspost, I've got two going) that I am going to listen to SWB's elementary grades writing mp3 again. I seem to remember it having loads of good tips for narration and dictation.