Menu

Cursive?

jillian

My DD wanted to learn cursive when she was 4 1/2. At the time, she was in PS K, and was in a reading pull-out with a group of advanced 3rd grade girls who were learning cursive, so they showed her a bit, and when I pulled her out, we did HWOT cursive, but did it using the lower grade techniques-lots of tracing, lots of finger writing, making letters out of the roll-a-dough putty, and so on.

This year, after a year of working on the alphabet, she does a short section of copywork daily in cursive, without tracing, and she's started doing most of her worksheets that are short-answer in cursive if there's enough space, although she still prints for most other things. (Her printing has improved a lot, even though the only instruction she got in it was during PS K). She knows that in THIRD grade, you write cursive (since that's what her 3rd grade friends did when she was in K), so she's planning to do everything in cursive next year. The local fair has a penmanship contest each year, and she's working on making her cursive beautiful so she can enter (and I think she'll have a really good chance of placing. I don't think there are many entries for K-3).