Menu

CRods/ Miquon

4Kiddos

I've noticed that a lot of you talk about C-rods and Miquon. I am looking into purchasing both and had some questions.

1. There are different types of C-rods. On some the individual blocks are marked off in increments and others not. Is one better that the other? There is also wood/plastic and ones that connect. Does it matter? What does Miquon use? Is the basic set enough?

2. Are there good places to buy Miquon used?

Thanks!

Edited by Mommyof3boys

I've noticed that a lot of you talk about C-rods and Miquon. I am looking into purchasing both and had some questions.

1. There are different types of C-rods. On some the individual blocks are marked off and others not. Is one better that the other? There is also wood/plastic. Does it matter? What does Miquon use?

2. Are there good places to buy Miquon used?

Thanks!

The only "real" Cuisenaire Rods are not scored. There are, as you've discovered, scored linking rods that have been "branded" a C Rods, but these are a corporate marketing decision and run counter to the intentions of the originator Georges Cuisenaire. Avoid the scored rods.

As to wood or plastic, it is a matter of preference, but (despite favoring "wood" products generally for being "natural") I much prefer the so-called plastic rods. They have a sturdier and more satisfying feel (I hate to say they feel more "wood-like" than the light-weight wood ones, but yes).

I would recommend the "classic" non-scored C Rods in "plastic."

Bill

I agree with pp. I started with a Introductory Kit because it came with a really nice booklet explaining how to use them and had several ideas for various games. But then you really want to have as many as you can. Especially helpful when learning place value to have a whole lot of orange ten rods. I have a mix of wood/plastic and I can't discern a difference, except in slight variations in color.