Menu

Help me pick out literature (both readers and read alouds) PLEASE!

Ok...I need your best, most adventurous books!

My dh has a business trip to California and we are going with him!:thumbup:

This is such an amazing opportunity for us because before I ever knew about this trip I had bought WP Sea and Sky which covers Oceanography and history w/ a nautical theme (for the first 18 weeks), plus I bought some additional Marine Biology material for my 15 year old. I never dreamed that I'd be plopped down in Dana Point (1.2 miles from the Ocean Institute and the ocean!) for 31/2 to 41/2 months! You cannot begin to know how excited I am getting now that the arrangments have been made and are finalized.

The only thing I did not buy with WP was the books. We'd read quite a few of them so I just didn't bother.

My 15 year old was going to do fantasy literature this year...but I think we may save that for the 2nd semester of school and do adventure novels for our 1st semester.

I need some really great book suggestions as my oldest does not really like to read. It can't be dry. It needs to be fun. Something with some sort of nautical theme. Pirates are good, journeys are good...just 3-4 book titles.

My 7th grader will be easier to please. He reads faster so I can really use a lot of suggestions for him.

And a few for a 2nd grader (she is an excellent reader) would be nice.

And then I need some read alouds.

Oh...and what about for ME! What are some fantastic beach reads? Or rather, pool side reads, since I won't take kids to the beach while dh is working.

Can you guys help me with suggestions?

Thanks in advance. :)

Older kids:

Treasure Island

20,000 Leagues under the Sea

Younger:

Pagoo

Thanks Jean,

We've done Treasure Island....nd I've already bought Pagoo to read this coming year. I love the Hollings books! 20,000 Leagues would fit right in.

Thanks again.

Guest Virginia Dawn

Robinson Crusoe, The Black Pearl, Mysterious Island, Island of the Blue Dolphins, All Sail Set, Red Sails to Capri,

2nd grader: Baby Island, The Pink Motel, Robert Fulton: Boy Craftsman, Carry On Mr. Bowditch,

The oldest might enjoy The Life of Pi. It is an intense fictional survival story of a young man in a small boat on the pacific with a bengal tiger.