Menu

Need secular biology recommendation 15 yo

Aloha,

My son is at freshman biology/science level and I'd like recommendations for secular curriculum. We have the Prentice Hall Miller/Levine textbook, which is wonderful in its own right but dry and rather difficult without a teacher. I'm looking for something that might engage him a bit more, and that doesn't break the budget in the process. He's quite bright and eager to learn, but not motivated by a textbook.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Mahalo,

Maureen

Lab work!

Not just for biology, but for any science. A lot of people seem to think of lab sessions as something students do on a time-available basis to supplement the text book. I think that's exactly backwards. Lab work is the essence of science. Just reading about science is about as effective as trying to learn to drive a car or play the violin just by reading about it. It's hands-on lab work that gets most kids engaged with science. Kids like to *do* stuff and *see* stuff instead of just reading about it.

That's why I always recommend using a science textbook primarily to prepare for doing labs. Read the chapter on protists, for example, but read it to prepare for a lab. Go out to the nearest pond and collect some pond water, sediment, and water plants. Then go look at your specimens under your microscope, using what you learned in the textbook to know what to look for.

Kids who spend most of their science time reading textbooks tend to retain much less that those who've put it all into context by doing hands-on stuff. That's why I always recommend devoting a large percentage of the time available to hands-on stuff. For courses like biology, chemistry, and physics, it's not excessive to spend 40% to 50% of the available time on lab work.

We used Pearsons Concepts and Connections.

We purchased an inexpensive older edition through Amazon (about $5) and the printed test bank ($19) and study guide($25? can't remember for sure) through Pearson.My son took 2 years to go through it.

He read through the Princeton Review and Barron's Prep books for the Biology SAT, studied the College Board material and scored an 800.The prep books were more difficult than the actual test (for him at least).

My dd is studying integrated biology and chemistry. Here's what we're using for the biology side of it:

Spines: Biology by Sylvia Mader; Campbell Biology, 9th edition

Lab texts: Lab Manual Biology by Sylvia Mader; Guide to Biology Lab by Thomas Rust

Labs and dissections: ScienceWorks; one very brave co-op parent

Supplements: Khan Academy; HippoCampus

HTH,

SuperDad

I agree, keep the Miller/Levine. If you don't have access to their online instruction, then use Khan Academy for some instructional video, then add labs!

The lab book that come with the Miller/Levine text works ok for homeschool. There are only a few labs that have been impossible for us. However, I wouldn't hesitate to pick a different lab component.

• 2 weeks later...