Menu

Tasteful book about the birds and the bees - suggestions, please

I need some advice/suggestions about a basic, tasteful, well-written book about the birds and the bees. I did a search for this info before I posted, but I don't think ds is ready for the full blown information for boys.

Dd just got her first period last a few weeks ago:001_huh:. I did first explain about this part of things to her about 6 months ago (she was 8 then, and I knew I needed to let her know this before we were both surprised, kwim? and the information came as quite a surprise to her). She did not want to hear about where babies actually came from at that time, claiming she just needed some time to wrap her head around the period info :001_smile:. When she finally got it, she was pretty okay with it, fairly excited, called grandmas, etc...At just 9y, her friends either are just learning about it in school or have no idea - most likely not even close to having to experience it, and I felt kind of bad for her about that, eventhough she didn't say anything to that affect. I tried to make it special, dh gave her flowers, but ds (her twin) had no clue what was going on and wanted to know "when he would get his". (Sigh) *I really think he just wanted the extra chocolate, anyhow :D

So, whether I think they are old enough to understand or digest the info, I've got to do what I've got to do. The problem is that dd is very mature (always has been) and ds...well...not so much. Dd will be easy and we've talked about a lot of these things already (just not exactly the nuts and bolts), but poor ds - I'm not sure he's past the giggle phase, you know? I plan to talk to each of them seperately, though.

So, anyway, I would really love some suggestions on just the basics, tastefully done (I was appaulled at what I ended up not borrowing from the library! Way too much information for 9 year olds, imo) from those of you who have explained all this to both boys and girls at this age. I want to be thorough, without giving too much info at this point.

Thanks,

It's a book to guide you in explaining things to your dc, or you can purchase the CDs and let Dr. Dobson do the explaining. My dc learned a lot from the CDs (individually) and it was nice to let Dr. Dobson do the explaining and then discuss. It was less uncomfortable that way, KWIM? It's nice to include it in a weekend away for dad and son or mom and daughter, filled with special activities the dc will love.

We bought the "God's Design for S*x" series to use with our kids. It is written from an unabashidly christian, no s*x 'til marriage standpoint. There are 4 volumes, which start out very gently and increase in subject matter. They don't just cover s*x, but also areas of puberty.