Menu

Major Differences Between WWE 2 and 3?

I have a 12 year old nephew and 16 year old son that need practice with dictation and narration.

Before Christmas break we started the WWS 1 sample and both of them struggled. The 12 year old struggled immensely with proper sentences and punctuation and had no clue how to give a written summary in two or three sentences. His oral narrations go on and on forever going into vivid details that get him side tracked.

The 16 year old could summarize but went over the sentence count and it was very stilted and boring. He looses his beautiful voice and style, that shines through in his creative writing, when completing these exercises. His narrations are just ok, no interesting descriptions with this either.

I have stopped WWS 1 at Week 1 Day 4 for the 12 year old and Week 2 Day 3 for the 16 year old. I gave each of them the WWE Evaluation on different days and they both had issues giving me a concise narration in two or three sentences as well as skipping words and not getting all the punctuation correctly while performing dictation.

This 7th grade year is the first year homeschooling for the 12 year old. His 6th grade was horrible with D's and F's. I suspect ADHD Inattentive and plan to get him tested very soon.

This 10th grade year is the 4th year of homeschooling the 16 year old. He is an A and B student except for math and grammar in which he struggles immensely with. I suspect LD's and plan to get him tested very soon.

So after knowing all of this where should I place them in WWE? I'm debating between Level 2 and 3 unless the hive thinks I should consider another level. I am all ears!!!!

Well, WWE2 and 3 are made for second and third graders so the choice of literature might be a bit young. I know that WWE 2 still has copy work and that might be insulting for kids age 12 & 16. You could skip that part and work through the book that much faster.

Is there a specific reason you aren't considering year 4? It is written to an older student. You will be working specifically on narration and dictation in both 3 and 4.

I am pretty sure Peace Hill Press has placement tests for WWE.

For the grammar, I would suggest FLL? Maybe year 4?

Well, WWE2 and 3 are made for second and third graders so the choice of literature might be a bit young. I know that WWE 2 still has copy work and that might be insulting for kids age 12 & 16. You could skip that part and work through the book that much faster.

Is there a specific reason you aren't considering year 4? It is written to an older student. You will be working specifically on narration and dictation in both 3 and 4.

I am pretty sure Peace Hill Press has placement tests for WWE.

For the grammar, I would suggest FLL? Maybe year 4?

I used the placement test and they both faltered with WWE 2 and 3. I didn't proceed to 4 but maybe I should have to see. I am worried about the lower levels being to babyish but want them to learn what they need to at the same time.

I don't need FLL because we are using Winston Grammar.

WWE2 is copywork whereas WWE3 moves into dictation. I would say, in your situation, to work through WWE3 at an accelerated pace, doing 2 days in 1.

It's important to remember though that your goal is that by the end of the book they will be able to handle the dictation provided in the evaluation (Week 36). Don't expect them to be able to handle the dictation at the beginning of the book even though it is pretty short. You may have to shorten the dictation OR you may have to read half of the dictation several times, have them repeat it back to you until they get it correct, and then write it...then do the second half of the dictation the same way.

If the content is too "babyish" for them in WWE you can always ask them to summarize their reading from science and history or literature.

WWE2 is copywork whereas WWE3 moves into dictation. I would say, in your situation, to work through WWE3 at an accelerated pace, doing 2 days in 1.

It's important to remember though that your goal is that by the end of the book they will be able to handle the dictation provided in the evaluation (Week 36). Don't expect them to be able to handle the dictation at the beginning of the book even though it is pretty short. You may have to shorten the dictation OR you may have to read half of the dictation several times, have them repeat it back to you until they get it correct, and then write it...then do the second half of the dictation the same way.

If the content is too "babyish" for them in WWE you can always ask them to summarize their reading from science and history or literature.

Thank you so much for this. Hopefully by the time we are done they can go right into WWS instead of WWE 4. After that we will start CW.

Hopefully by the time we are done they can go right into WWS instead of WWE 4.

Have you looked at the 20 week WWS sample? It has practice in writing summaries. One of my dds found the way it asked for them to write out a list of 5-8 of the most important details and then summarize down to 3 or 4 sentences from that was much easier than just having to verbally come up with 3 to 4 short sentences for the whole passage. I later went back in WWE4 and asked her to write down a summary and then summarize it further and she did far, far better than when I asked for it orally.

If your students have trouble verbally coming up with a short summary you might want to try to do it in a similar way. Just a thought. :001_smile:

:iagree:

If you get the hardback book, you get the directions for exactly what to do and how to do it; you can then choose the reading/dictation selections from material that will both challenge and interest them.

I started DS(then10) in WWE 1, actually, and moved at the pace of one 'week' per day. He's now up to book 3, and the results reflected in his writing have been positive.

Have you looked at the 20 week WWS sample? It has practice in writing summaries. One of my dds found the way it asked for them to write out a list of 5-8 of the most important details and then summarize down to 3 or 4 sentences from that was much easier than just having to verbally come up with 3 to 4 short sentences for the whole passage. I later went back in WWE4 and asked her to write down a summary and then summarize it further and she did far, far better than when I asked for it orally.

If your students have trouble verbally coming up with a short summary you might want to try to do it in a similar way. Just a thought. :001_smile:

They were both doing WWS first when I realized they were really struggling. That is why I am trying to drop back to WWE.

:iagree:

If you get the hardback book, you get the directions for exactly what to do and how to do it; you can then choose the reading/dictation selections from material that will both challenge and interest them.

I started DS(then10) in WWE 1, actually, and moved at the pace of one 'week' per day. He's now up to book 3, and the results reflected in his writing have been positive.

Thank you maybe this is the way for me to go so I can speed up and slow down as necessary as well as use other source material at their level!

My 12 and 13 yr olds are using WWE 2. Both actually still need alot of guidance through it and they are now done week 10 in it. The copywork etc is needed still which is why we began with level 2. I opted not to think of them as being grade 2,3 &4 but as levels because my kids just weren't there yet. I had hoped to at least double up on lessons but it hasn't worked out that way yet.

My 12 and 13 yr olds are using WWE 2. Both actually still need alot of guidance through it and they are now done week 10 in it. The copywork etc is needed still which is why we began with level 2. I opted not to think of them as being grade 2,3 &4 but as levels because my kids just weren't there yet. I had hoped to at least double up on lessons but it hasn't worked out that way yet.

Thank you for sharing! It makes me feel better knowing there are others in my shoes!!!

I have decided to listen to SWB recordings on writing. It is starting to click in my head what needs to happen. When I'm finished I will have to figure out the best way to implement all of this: WWE Workbook, The Complete Writer, or on my own.