Menu

AP Calc question

Hello all,

Dd is currently in 10th grade doing Pre-calc at home using Prentice Hall's Precalculus by Lial, Hornsby & Schneider. It's a big book and she close to 1/2 way done. But, there are a ton of problem sets.

Anyway, dd wants to take AP Calc exam next year in 11th. She is not too confident in her math skills (unlike her English skills); she is not a whiz in math (she can figure out the problem, but she's not super fast). While math is not her "thing", she would like to apply to selective colleges, so she would like to take Calc AB exam instead of BC.

I had a few questions -

1) Any really good online classes you can recommend for teaching AP Calc AB? (helpful/accessable teacher) One with webinars or live chats would be a plus.

2) Another option is for her to take Calc I at local cc next fall. She is concerned the class (15 wks) will move much quicker than year long AP Calc AB class. But, would it be better to take Calc 1 at cc or take AP class? Which looks better on a transcript?

3) One friend (a math tutor) said finsih Precalc by next dec, then in spring 2013 take Calc 1 at cc, then take AP Calc AB exam in May. What do you think?

4) Is calc BC much harder than AB? I honestly don't know how much more work that is... do selective colleges really want to see the Calc BC on the transcript and don't think much of Calc AB?

I am really confused what to do for next year. I don't have the time to teach her myself (I've forgotten my calc & I'm teacher 3 other kids). Dd also wants to take 3 other aps in her junior year, so she will be very busy... just want to make sure she can manage it all and not have a nervous breakdown... but she wants to do it.. :glare:

Thank you all for any help you can give,

Sangita

dd(16), dd(14), dd(10), ds(8)

Not quite in your situation, but almost! Dd is in 9th, and halfway through precalc (larson) and she will do the SAT 2 test in June.

In September, she will take CALC BC through PAHomeschoolers. It is a yr long course, and the kids are ready for the BC exam by May or June. There is an option to do the AB course also.

From what I have read, if your DC is heading for STEM major, then Calc BC is preferred. If some other major, even premed, Calc AB should be sufficient.

I'm curious to what others have done, too!:001_smile:

If she is not very confident in her skills, I think you have the right idea with Calc AB. BC moves FAST, if you don't get something, or you have holes, you don't really have a ton of time to play catch up.

1. We used PA Homeschoolers for calc BC. It is an excellent class for very self-motivated kids. In all honesty, if I didn't have a math background, dd would have been very sad. But I think that was mostly HER, not the class. Excellent, excellent preparation for the test, though.

2. The cc class will move FAST, as fast as the first semester of the bc class. However, most colleges have a tutoring center included in the tuition costs and that is most helpful!

I have been told by most colleges that they would rather see AP test scores than cc grades because ccs vary but APs are standardized. It just gives them an exact number they can understand in regards to awarding credit. However, if you are planning on state unis/colleges, there may be a transfer agreement, making the cc class a better idea.

3. I would only do this if you understand that the class will move fast and you have a TON of AP prep stuff lined up on your own. The biggest problems with this are that the classes do not necessarily align to the AP test and cover more or less than the test, and you will be studying for AP tests and college finals at the same time. Not so fun.

The point here is that you need to understand how the test works and be very familiar with the types of questions. A cc class may not help at all (or it may be very useful, who knows until you're in the class?).

4. It's not that calc BC is more difficult, it just covers more material in the same amount of time. If the college is selective enough, they don't care if you have AB or BC because you will be repeating calculus at their school. DD is fairly certain about an engineering degree and all of the schedules I have looked at, from MIT to ASU, begin with Calculus 1. So they don't really expect kids to start at calc 3 or DiffE, they expect them to be prepared for higher-level thinking skills.

With 4 AP classes total, your dd will be very, very busy. I think most colleges just want to see that you challenged yourself and that you are ready to successfully complete college classes. If you don't want to quibble over credit awarded, it doesn't really make a difference.

Food for thought, though: If you take BC next year, what will you do for her senior year? Plenty of options, yes, I know, but still something to keep in mind.

If she is not very confident in her skills, I think you have the right idea with Calc AB. BC moves FAST, if you don't get something, or you have holes, you don't really have a ton of time to play catch up.

1. We used PA Homeschoolers for calc BC. It is an excellent class for very self-motivated kids. In all honesty, if I didn't have a math background, dd would have been very sad. But I think that was mostly HER, not the class. Excellent, excellent preparation for the test, though.

2. The cc class will move FAST, as fast as the first semester of the bc class. However, most colleges have a tutoring center included in the tuition costs and that is most helpful!

I have been told by most colleges that they would rather see AP test scores than cc grades because ccs vary but APs are standardized. It just gives them an exact number they can understand in regards to awarding credit. However, if you are planning on state unis/colleges, there may be a transfer agreement, making the cc class a better idea.

3. I would only do this if you understand that the class will move fast and you have a TON of AP prep stuff lined up on your own. The biggest problems with this are that the classes do not necessarily align to the AP test and cover more or less than the test, and you will be studying for AP tests and college finals at the same time. Not so fun.

The point here is that you need to understand how the test works and be very familiar with the types of questions. A cc class may not help at all (or it may be very useful, who knows until you're in the class?).

4. It's not that calc BC is more difficult, it just covers more material in the same amount of time. If the college is selective enough, they don't care if you have AB or BC because you will be repeating calculus at their school. DD is fairly certain about an engineering degree and all of the schedules I have looked at, from MIT to ASU, begin with Calculus 1. So they don't really expect kids to start at calc 3 or DiffE, they expect them to be prepared for higher-level thinking skills.

With 4 AP classes total, your dd will be very, very busy. I think most colleges just want to see that you challenged yourself and that you are ready to successfully complete college classes. If you don't want to quibble over credit awarded, it doesn't really make a difference.

Food for thought, though: If you take BC next year, what will you do for her senior year? Plenty of options, yes, I know, but still something to keep in mind.

Thanks so much for your helpful post!

I am torn - on the one hand I'd like dd to take an AP Calc AB class, so teacher can prepare her for the exam in May. On the other hand cc class (which would go fast) would offer her a "live" teacher with free access to math lab when she needs help! :lol:

Can you give me your opinion of PAH AP Calc class? Are there any chats? Is there a lot of interaction with other students? I heard there are a ton of notes to read through. Dd is not motivated in math (she leaves it to do as her last subject everyday! lol). So, I don't know if PAH would be a good fit for calc. Can you tell me you dc's impression? I also think part of my dd's issure is lack of confidence in math and motivation b/c it doesn't come easy (like english/writing/CR)...

Thank you for the advice about AB vs BC. I want dd to succeed in Calc and my gut tells me to do AB not BC, yet I don't want this choice to close any college options ykwim? So, thanks for telling me your opinion- most colleges just really want to see kids taking challenging courses and they are ready for higher learning. Dd wants to go into Biology or Biochemstry at this point. I'm not sure how much Calc is required.

Have you heard any opinions on Potters School Calc? They have AP Calc option, so the class would 'meet' twice a week. I like the flexibility of PAH (no assigned meeting time). But, I like that TPS uses "blackboard" w/audio

I also saw PHC (Patrick Henry College has Calc AB class, but I don't know anyone who has taken their classes. Also, can't sample an online class either.

Thank you SO much for your help! I'm still muddling through it all. BTW, what other PAH classes has your dc taken? Have they done AP Chem or AP Physic thru' PAH?

Sangita

Not quite in your situation, but almost! Dd is in 9th, and halfway through precalc (larson) and she will do the SAT 2 test in June.

In September, she will take CALC BC through PAHomeschoolers. It is a yr long course, and the kids are ready for the BC exam by May or June. There is an option to do the AB course also.

From what I have read, if your DC is heading for STEM major, then Calc BC is preferred. If some other major, even premed, Calc AB should be sufficient.

I'm curious to what others have done, too!:001_smile:

Thanks for your post. Dd is taking a few APs thru' PAH right now and I've looked into PAH for Calc. I'm just trying to decide if its the right fit for her.

Thank you again for posting,

Good luck to your dd!

Sangita

Ok, I sound like a broken record, but my dd really likes Derekowens.com. She really understands the concepts from the way he teaches. His lectures are via video. The student completes a workbook while watching the video to keep them engaged. I think the class prepares students for the AB Calculus.

Hi Michelle,

THanks for the post. I went to Derek Owens' website, can I ask a few questions?

1) Did you dd take the AP Calc class? Do you know if the class is College Board Certified? (i.e can I put AP Calc on hs transcript?)

2) If your dd did take the calc course, does Mr. Owens give time in April just to work on AP type math problems?

3) So, it seems like dc watches weekly/daily video, completes a workbook, then does problem sets from the book along with tests - Is that correct?

2) Just wondering how responsive is Derek with questions (via email) since he is also teaching classes? Did you dd have to email him with questions about any of the math problems?

Thank you SO much for this option. It looks promising!

Sangita