Menu

Writing curriculum (HOD) Help!

thesmileofGod

I could use some advice. I use HOD Bigger with my dd 8 and also Rod and Staff Grammar 3. As far as writing goes that is all we use. I'm wondering if that is enough? She does dictation and all of the writing for science and history notebooking but is lacking original writing. Is that ok for this age? FWIW she does write/copy a lot on her own time but nothing formal. Here is an example of a little note she gave me today (tattling on sisters:001_huh:).

Charlotte and Celeste were resling(wrestling). Celeste said stop and Charlotte did not stop. Celeste got hurt.

She does this kind of thing all the time but I just don't feel like we are doing enough. Tell me it's ok or tell me what to add:). Thanks, Gina

Current Read aloud: Uncle Wiggly's Storybook, Farmer Boy

I had the same thoughts when we used Bigger, but I really think it's fine. Are you planning on using Preparing? I know the Preparing guide has more oroginal writing and then starting with CTC, the guides use a full-blown writing program in additon to R&S English. I think Carrie's goal with Bigger is to get kids used to writing a lot without the frustration of having to come up with original ideas. :)

We are required to test starting in 3rd therefore I like to use a formal writing in addition to r&s and hod. HOD does not teach persuasive, expository,narrative ,etc. writing, at least not at this age.

We enjoy WWW, short and comprehensive.I also use Evan Moore paragraph book, it's excellent as a supplement. He is also enjoying Wordsmith Apprentice. WE alternate between these programs.

You will probably get more answers if you post in k-8 board.

• 2 weeks later...
We are required to test starting in 3rd therefore I like to use a formal writing in addition to r&s and hod. HOD does not teach persuasive, expository,narrative ,etc. writing, at least not at this age.

We enjoy WWW, short and comprehensive.I also use Evan Moore paragraph book, it's excellent as a supplement. He is also enjoying Wordsmith Apprentice. WE alternate between these programs.

You will probably get more answers if you post in k-8 board.

Hi!

What's WWW?

Thanks!