Menu

Science workshop age limit *sigh*

Greenmama2

Just a bit of a whinge really. I got an email today about a Homeschool science workshop coming up that would be right up DD's alley. I mean really, just exactly right where she is at right now and at a time when she has been begging for more science.

The minimum age is four years older than her. It's stated clearly that it is for 9-13 year olds and she is only 5.5. There's not much point to this post, I'm not planning to ask them to include her. I would probably be annoyed as the parent of an 11/12 year old to see a 5/6 year old turn up. I'm just disappointed on her behalf as I know how much she would have loved it (not that I'll tell her about it) :(

Is it possible to run a congruent class for the younger students who are interested. There are bound to be siblings too.

I can say, I have children with VERY strong interests in two different areas of science. They would have done well in a program like this, but BELIEVE me, the kiddos there that are the required age are nearly ALL very interested in science too.

We have always had younger kids ready to do older work within our community here. I have found that once people see these kids in action and realize that they are capable of following, attending, and fully participating, then they are generally more willing to accept them. Perhaps you could get into doing some other things with the group and speak with the mothers, field trip organizers, etc. to see if they would be willing to let her try higher level activities.

I have taught classes and organized field trips for years where younger kids I know attend. I am happy for them to do this because I know that they need this level of stimulation. There have occasionally been kids, however, who were not able to participate appropriately, and that always stands out and makes folks hesitant to allow others in. If all parents could gauge their children better, then perhaps this would not be so....

And there have occasionally been labs scheduled where younger kids simply could not participate. As a case in point, we had a two hour microscopy lab at a science center and when I questioned the lab director about her desire not to include kids younger than fifth grade age, she told me that they simply would not be tall enough to see into the microscope from their stools without turning over the stools, endangering the expensive equipment as they fell, etc. As it was, we had one boy who was small for his age and who had to stand on his knees to see into his scope. I had to help anchor his stool for him. If there had been several with the same difficulty, we would not have had enough adult help in the room to serve as additional anchors (and there really was not room for this, anyway). So sometimes considerations involve physical things other than just the level of the work.

Sorry, about your dilemma....

I've had the same result-once people see DD in action, they don't mind including her with the older kids, but they have to see her. What's worked for me, honestly, is to enroll her in a class for her age group when there IS a parallel class for older kids, and to let the instructor see her. Almost always, they suggest moving up. I have also, twice, for physical activities, used the "you can do a makeup in an older age group" method-when the coaches see how much more attentive DD is when she's with older kids, they want to move her up, because while she may not quite have the motor skills the older kids do, the difference between a gifted kid pulling the others her age into mischief and a gifted kid who is focused and concentrating because she's challenged is immense.

For something like a one-shot workshop, though, we end up just skipping it.

Thanks for your replies. I bit the bullet and emailed the facilitator asking if she would either consider running another workshop with a lower age limit or finding a way to accommodate DD. The worst she can say is no, and I thought it might be helpful to lend a voice of support to the other mother who asked for a younger workshop.