Menu

Help me diagnose my weird bump

Looking for advice about a weird issue I am having. About a week ago, I woke up with a painful red bump on the front of my leg, just above my ankle. It is bigger than a mosquito bite, but I figured it was probably a spider or other bug bite of some kind and kept an eye on it. It hasn't gotten any worse in the last week, but it also hasn't gotten any better. My husband thought maybe I'd banged my leg on something, which is a reasonable possibility since I do that all the time. But, I really don't remember smacking it and it isn't acting like a bruise by turning purple and healing like usual. It's still just as red as the first day. There's also no bump in the middle and it's only raised a little bit above my skin, so it doesn't seem to be a pimple.

The red spot is about the size of a dime, with an additional lighter red area of swelling around it, altogether about quarter size. It doesn't hurt all the time, but always if I press on it, and sometimes it will ache a little while I am walking. But mostly I don't notice it unless I bump it or look at it. I am also 18 weeks pregnant and have a little swelling in my legs by the evening, but not much yet. Any ideas what this might be?

Thanks for the input. I put in a call to my midwife and will probably pop in tomorrow just to let her check it out.

My mind immediately went to a possible blood clot, because my brother had some very serious issues last year with blood clots and nearly died of a pulmonary embolism. But I've never had issues with blood clots in pregnancy (or anytime) before, and I don't want to be paranoid and overthink a bug bite. :001_smile: