Menu

Layman's introduction to Judaism?

I would like to have a better understanding of Jewish belief and practice; I would love a book/website recommendation from one of our practicing Jewish boardies. :001_smile:Thank-you!

(Without offense to those who do this, I am not interested in Christian-Jewish systhesis materials, etc. I am interested because I am love theology, not because I want to mesh two belief systems.)

Rabbi Tatz has some fascinating books and audio lectures; you can listen to some of the lectures (for free!) here.

I absolutely second him! His lecture on free will was one of the most fascinating ones on the topic I have heard - and there are of course other ones, but I was particularly impressed by that one.

I think his lectures would be very accessible for the wider audience too.

Isn't he wonderful?

Yes. :D

Oh, good! I always feel worried when I recommend something b/c I don't feel I have any realistic sense of how accessible it is... the barriers are all invisible to me!

I *think* he is. I think is very low-key on jargon, uses many examples to illustrate his points that are not culture-specific (whether from his physician practice or general life), and I noticed that he often words things in ways very accessible to a person with a general Western education as a result of that. I think one could even totally ignore the Judaic component in some of his lectures, like for example the one I mentioned earlier, about free will - I gave the link (it is on Google videos) to it to some people who are not Jewish and none of them complained that they did not understand it.

I think he is an *excellent* middle ground: his lectures are authentic, framed in Jewish terms, but not wrapped in jargon like many other lectures which are basically yeshivish, both in expression and content, and thus difficult even for many Jews, let alone general audience.

Oh, Eliana, thank-you for taking the time to do this for me! (Did you notice I asked before the great Judeo-Christian uproar, too?!:lol:) I appreciate this very much.

One of the things that I have noticed in reading what you, Yael, and EM and other Jewish boardies have to say about things religious is that the starting place for approaching this kind of question is so different than that/those I am accustomed to; I would love to be able to understand the "where you are coming from" better. This will be a great start for me.

Thanks again!

Love,

Caitilin