Menu

car seat experts, need recommendation!

The car insurance is going to replace our carseat, as it was in a crash. I looked it up, and our seat is currently about $99, so that is how much they will reimburse, approximately. I don't want to spend much more than that, obviously. I'd love some advice on a seat for a 2 year old (she turns 2 in two weeks) that is 25lbs. She is unfortunately recently front facing, as she was escaping on a regular basis in order to stand up and face forward. We ordered a special strap from New Zealand that mainly keeps her in, but she will spend all her time trying to get out if she is rear facing. So, yeah....front facing strapped in is safer than rear facing standing up unstrapped, at this point.

As for other requirements, comfort and easily adjusted straps. Sometimes she wears cloth diapers, sometimes disposable, so I am often readjusting the straps to account for the difference in bulk. Regarding placement, she is on the bench seat in the middle of the mini van. Soon we will have another carseat in that row, next to her, but I think there is plenty of room for that. For that matter, advice on an infant or covertable seat for an infant that will fit behind the driver's seat is also welcome. Money again is an issue.

Thanks!

I love our Britax Marathon. Ds has been in it since birth and he is now 4-3/4 years old and still has room. No hassle straps which was an absolute for me. I know they are spendy. I just can't remember how much. But it has been well worth the money for us.

Yeah, that's about 100 dollars or more out of my price range.

Graco Nautilus

This looks like a good option, as it would convert to a booster seat, making the xtra 30 or 40 dollars worth it.

Yeah, that's about 100 dollars or more out of my price range.

This looks like a good option, as it would convert to a booster seat, making the xtra 30 or 40 dollars worth it.

It is a good seat. No complaints. We have 2 currently. We are replacing our Marathons with them as they expire.

It is a good seat. No complaints. We have 2 currently. We are replacing our Marathons with them as they expire.

A lot of the reviews say the crotch strap is too close to the back of the seat, so a larger child is sitting on the strap. Also, several people said the buckle is hard to fasten on the newer ones, which would be an issue with my arthritis.

given the issues I'm reading about the Nautilus and the crotch strap, I'm going to go to the store to have her try it out. Another option, that I think we can afford, is the Britax Roundabout 55. Any opinions on that one?

I don't think I'd buy a roundabout for a ff 2 year old unless you plan on handing it down to a new baby. It won't last near as long height wise. Something like the nautilus will last you forever!

What kind of insurance is replacing the seat? How bad was the accident? We were in an accident recently and insurance refused to replace the 4 carseats worth about $600 in our car. I am super irritated. :glare: