Menu

Students looking to be music major questions

I know I'm thinking ahead for my daughter who is only in 4th grade.

In high school I was an officer in the choir, leader for the showchoir ( wrote the introductions/speeches we made in between songs), officer in Thespians, Region Choir, tons of I's in solo and ensemble, etc.

There is a children's theater where she is already participating. There is a high school choir at the moment. However, how do you do things like region choir or solo and ensemble??? And will that matter on the college applications? I'll definitely have her do AP Music Theory. (Boy I wish that had existed when I started) I know she won't get credit, but it will definitely give her a good start for her college theory classes.

We cannot participate in extra-curriculars here in Texas.. If we could, it would be easy. I'm friends with the high school choir teacher and am going to help her students prepare for solo and ensemble over the next few weeks..

How about involvement in a good church choir? Often you don't have to belong to a church to participate in the choir, and children's choirs often only sing once a month or so. (Some teen church choirs are outstanding!)

Are there any local adult choirs in your area? Our area has several, and high schoolers can and do participate in them.

Do you live near a college? Sometimes high schoolers can participate in EC activities at a local college.

If she can find a music director who is excited about working with her, the director may create opportunities for her -- singing duets, directing, etc. If she takes voice lessons, her teacher may also be able to help your dd find musical opportunities.

Best wishes!

How about involvement in a good church choir? Often you don't have to belong to a church to participate in the choir, and children's choirs often only sing once a month or so. (Some teen church choirs are outstanding!)

Best wishes!

Yes, the question is will she play violin in the praise band ( almost good enough to do that now) or sing in the choir??? We have a pretty good music department here that she could do dual credit for piano, choir, etc.

I'm not sure where you are located, but in Fort Worth there is a fine arts school where you can do these things. My 18 yo was in the All Region Choir and participated in both regional and state Solo and Ensemble (with several 1's by the way).

Is there a private school near you that will allow her to be in choir in high school?

Linda

Are there non-school-related competitions in your area?

In my area a local music club has a competition, and the winners receive money towards music lessons. Winning that looks good on a resume! And there is also a local competition open to voice and instrumentalists that leads to a state-wide competition. Neither of these is in any way school-related.

And on a wider scale, my dd competed in a competition in a neighboring state -- her music teacher noticed the competition and suggested she enter it.

Many schools don't offer a complete roster of musical opportunities, so even public school students often need to look beyond what the schools offer. (My high school had nothing for strings; I don't know of any high school that does anything with organ :tongue_smilie:)

Yes, the question is will she play violin in the praise band ( almost good enough to do that now) or sing in the choir??? We have a pretty good music department here that she could do dual credit for piano, choir, etc.

I majored in piano performance and instrumental ed so I can answer this. For a state school with an "okay" music department, as long as her auditions meet requirements and the competition isn't too fierce, this may count.

To a top or middle tier 1 LAC, Uni with a banging music department, or conservatory, NO. This won't do. Anything a church has to offer does not begin to cover the depth of group performance, the difficulty of repetoire, or meet for enough hours per week to prepare her for a music major. The music major is highly competitive, dog eat dog, and the hours are heavy. Music majors are usually required to practice four hrs. per day, plus classes, plus music labs, plus performance groups that may meet three times per week for 1-2 hrs. of practice. It's an endurance "sport" and she needs to be working her way up to that level of playing and practicing in order to be ready for it.

If your local public schools will not allow her to perform with them, try to find a private that will. One thing that will very much get her looked at and will help prepare her mentally for the major is to attend Interlochen Fine Arts Camp (WORLD REKNOWNED) or Eastman's summer program. Attending more than once would be my goal if this were my child. Also, check with local universities and see if any have a youth orchestra...though sometimes lead by music majors in their junior and senior years, these tend to be performing at a higher level and they have the oversight of the uni music department which means the quality of the education is usually pretty decent.

I'd also look for other options. If you have a music store in the city that caters to classical music groups, call them and find out what community performance opportunities your daughter could audition for...but, unless she is not looking at tier 1 institution or conservatory, she needs more depth and challenge than what a church performance group can provide.

Faith

Why can't she do All-State or All-City choirs? Here, they are not under CHSAA rules so it's a matter of signing up and auditioning with the governing body for that choir. My older two did All-State and Weekend for Strings several times each. My girls were listed under their college orchestras. Is there a private school's choir that she could piggy-back on?

Here in Texas these competitions are part of UIL and you must be enrolled in ps. I don't even think private schools have options for those..but I'm not sure. The Christian school near us doesn't even offer band or choir. I'll have to ask about the one in the neighboring town.

I

If your local public schools will not allow her to perform with them, try to find a private that will. One thing that will very much get her looked at and will help prepare her mentally for the major is to attend Interlochen Fine Arts Camp (WORLD REKNOWNED) or Eastman's summer program. Attending more than once would be my goal if this were my child. .

Faith

This will be our 3rd year to go to the Annie Moses Fine ARts Summer Academy. She is only in 4th grade, so I thought that would be good for now. But maybe not? There are youth orchestras she can start playing with next year in 5th grade. When she gets to high school, I think she might even be able to play with the community orchestra. I know they let some of the better players from the youth orchestra try out last year.. I love the Annie Moses camp and she gets to sing and play violin which is good. She really likes singing better than violin.

I was totally unprepared for the dog eat dog world when I was a music major, so I'm trying to do a better job with her. ( I still can't believe how woefully unprepared I was when all of my teachers knew I was going. They thought I was going to do really well. I was a straight A student...but man, music ate my lunch!!)

The private schools do have the option in Texas. It is TPSMEA and that is how my daughter was able to compete.

Linda

How involved do you have to be in the private school?? I looked on the list and there are not any schools listed from around here. There are a couple of schools in a town an hour away....

Well, the fine arts school we use is for homeschool students only. They meet one day a week and you can go for only one choir or a voice lesson if you want.

I'm certain the involvement level would depend on the private school, but I can't see a private school not wanting your money for one class.

The sign-ups only ask things like school, age (or grade), and part.

Linda

Well, the fine arts school we use is for homeschool students only. They meet one day a week and you can go for only one choir or a voice lesson if you want.

I'm certain the involvement level would depend on the private school, but I can't see a private school not wanting your money for one class.

The sign-ups only ask things like school, age (or grade), and part.

Linda

Ah.. so she goes to class there to participate.. Sigh.. then that won't work. These schools are too far away to go daily.... You don't know any in the Longview area do you??

Does Texas have an audition only summer arts institute? I know that OK and MO do. They are for high school and are great for college apps. She will need private voice lessons and some other instrument. My husband was in the music dept as a recording major. That was his primary "instrument" but he had to have a secondary AND take piano. I would get jer in theory amd find some one who will do oral/ear training. My DH was homeschooled and did a lot of music, but he struggled through oral training because he had never had to work on it. Start young with theory and oral training!

If you have a piano, you can do some. Teach her to listen to the difference between steps, skips, thirds, etc. But a good group theory class will do this too.

I would get jer in theory amd find some one who will do oral/ear training. My DH was homeschooled and did a lot of music, but he struggled through oral training because he had never had to work on it. Start young with theory and oral training!

If you have a piano, you can do some. Teach her to listen to the difference between steps, skips, thirds, etc. But a good group theory class will do this too.

Yep,, this threw me for a loop as well. I've already started this. Plus, we are going to a music prep academy for the choir and violin lessons once a week ( But it is a FULL hour of driving away!) They have music theory in a music lab. Unfortunately it is the same time as her choir... When she gets too old for the choir, we might do that instead.. But then we may not do choir.. I can't handle that drive more than once a week. There was one week I was supposed to go every day in December because of performances with her violin and choir..

Does the music prep academy belong to TPSMEA? The competitions I am talking about are only for middle school and high school. (One was just added for 5th/6th grade.)

The academy we go to only meets ONE day a week.

I wonder if there is any way they can become a part if they are not.

Linda

Does the music prep academy belong to TPSMEA? The competitions I am talking about are only for middle school and high school. (One was just added for 5th/6th grade.)

The academy we go to only meets ONE day a week.

I wonder if there is any way they can become a part if they are not.

Linda

I don't know it is part of Stephen F Austin university.. So I doubt it. And no I'm not looking for competitions right now. I was just trying to figure out what people did for high school... A lot could happen between now and then. By the time she gets to high school, they boys will be out of college.. So private school attendence might be workable!! She will be my only one left.. I'm just trying to give her the best base right now..if that makes sense..