Menu

Growing with Grammar and Winning with Writing

MellowYellow

Growing with Grammar and Winning with Writing

Do you think that these are both solid language arts curriculum?

How do you think these compare with First Language Lessons and Writing With Ease? (easier, harder, about the same)

how do you like them?

Has anyone also used Soaring with Spelling?

Yes, they are a solid curriculum choice. It is often called the secular answer to R&S. I cannot say how true that maybe even after using R&S. They cover the same topics.

They are different writing philosophies. It is up to you to decide which you gel with better.

My older 2 915 and 13) love GWG. They like how straightforward it is, how it covers fewer topics per lesson than R&S (my son's words), all the clean space, no religious or farm stories or references, and that I am not teaching it to them.

We tried SWSV and made it through 3 weeks before I put it out of its misery. It just did not fit here.

We tried FLL and were bored with how slow it is even though we finished FLL1. We then bought GWG and the kids love it!!!

We've since started WWE and it is a bit slow but the kids are happy enough to continue. I find it is just full of copywork with a couple of passages from famous story books.

I have also looked at WWW but it looks very similar to GWG so I'm not quite sure which direction WWW is going.

I'll be very interested in the replies to this post.

we use SWS, GWG and were using WWW. We LOVE LOVE LOVE GWG and SWS....the kids dont fight and agure when it is time to do this. The WWW is a good program too...it just moved too slowly for us. We are going to try Writing Strands...and see if that is any better...if not, we still have WWW to go back to. Oh, my kids never complained about WWW, I just felt like we were spinning our wheels somedays...doing the the same thing over and over again...or adding one teeny, tiny step to the days before's lesson...but I know for some kids that is perfect...and I thought that is what we need too...but I think it moved just a little too slow. We'll see.

But, all 3 are solid programs and they do work well together.

We did WWE 1 and 2 and then went to WWW3. My dd loves it. It is very slow (one tiny step each day) and we often do a few lessons in one day.

I like WWE but I just didnt like that there is no structure adn my dd is doing well with a step by step guide. I hate the writign part of R&S and so I am replacing that with WWW.

I use WWE and WWW concurrently. They are completely different philosophies of teaching writing. I find them to be a nice combination. WWE is the classical way to teach writing, and WWW is the traditional method.

:iagree:We do this also.. I have gotten FLL from the library with the intention of doing it also(using all 4) but FLL just seems to d-r-a-g. I can't imagine it fitting in with us as a regularly used program.. but I can see us charging through it to make sure we've covered everything and maybe memorizing the poems..

We are currently using Easy Grammar but are seriously considering switching to GWG next year.. I do like the "crossing out the prepositional phrase" idea but once you learn it....... I'm thinking to swtich to GWG for diagramming.

I shudder to even look at R&S. I have grade 3 and it just does not look like something we could get into.

DS uses GWG and WWW and it works really well for him. Short lessons, to the point. No busy work, extraneous information, stories, etc. Just a description of the topic and some examples, then a relevant worksheet. It's nice and clean and clear, which he really needs. I also really like the amount of review. The GWG worksheets, for example will be topic-specific for the first two sections and then the last two sections will review something already covered and often has some diagramming. In WWW, each lesson builds on the last. It is great about giving step by step directions for writing without being overwhelming.

I liked these programs so much that I have just started SWS for DS also, and DD, who is currently using WWW, will forgo VIE in favor of GWG next year.