Menu

Soaring with Spelling?

jewel7123

Is Soaring with Spelling a phonics/rules based program? Can I get some opinions from those who've used it? AAS is just not getting done around here, but I want to choose a solid spelling program that teaches phonics rules. Is SWS a good choice, and if not, what do you recommend? :bigear:

It is phonics based. I just finished level 1 with my 2nd grader, and started level 2 this week. It is not perfect. Sometimes the definitions are a little annoying to me.

But I really like the word lists. My dd likes the worksheets. We do most of them orally, but you could write them if your kid likes to write. I like that the lessons are short and sweet, and phonics based. I don't want to take a lot of time with spelling, and this fits the bill. I'm still searching for the perfect spelling program, but this one is good enough in the meantime. It has a phonics progression that I like. Others may not like it, but I do.

You can see sample lessons on the SWS website. For early levels you do not need the teacher manual.

We are just finishing Level 5, and have decided to go back to SWO. I can't comment on other levels, but we found the word lists okay, but the activities were not great. Word searches, circling the correct spelling, fill-in-the-blank, and alphabetizing were the common ones, and they seemed more like busywork than anything else. I found it really didn't help my child analyze words or learn their meanings.

We are just finishing Level 5, and have decided to go back to SWO. I can't comment on other levels, but we found the word lists okay, but the activities were not great. Word searches, circling the correct spelling, fill-in-the-blank, and alphabetizing were the common ones, and they seemed more like busywork than anything else. I found it really didn't help my child analyze words or learn their meanings.

In what way do you think Spelling Workout is better?

I don't like this about SWS, as I don't think you should let a child see incorrect spelling of words. I would definitely skip that portion if I decide to use SWS. Is SWO phonics based?

I just want something like AAS but in workbook form. :001_smile:

jewel7123][/b]

I just want something like AAS but in workbook form

Take a look at these options:

1. Spell for Writing workbooks and teaching guides level 1 to 5. You can copy these workbooks into your document editor and change the font to cursive or whatever you are using. I like these better than ZB Spelling Connections.

2. Zaner-Bloser Spelling Connections

3. How To Teach Spelling

I use SWS for my DS and I think it's okay. The daily assignments are really quick and easy. I'm not sure how many of the spelling words he's actually retaining. He can look at words for a few minutes and then spell them correctly but two weeks later, I doubt he could remember how to spell them. I still have him doing the program because I'm sure he's getting something from it but I wouldn't use SWS for his main spelling program.

I also have him using Apples & Pears. He is doing wonderful with Apples & Pears. A lesson takes him about 30 minutes a day and he doesn't mind the work. My DS has severe dyslexia, a year ago (he was in public school) he couldn't spell 10 words but thanks to Apples & Pears is a spelling beast. :) The program works!

Take a look at these options:

1. Spell for Writing workbooks and teaching guides level 1 to 5. You can copy these workbooks into your document editor and change the font to cursive or whatever you are using. I like these better than ZB Spelling Connections.

Thanks for this....any idea how to find the teacher's manuals that go with these? I see indication that there are some, but have come up blank when I search the site.