Menu

Saxon Math -- do I need the homeschool version?

happypamama

Considering trying Saxon 7/6 for my daughter; I think its approach might be a good fit for her. I just can't seem to figure out if I need the regular Saxon book, or if I want the homeschool version. Regardless of which book I choose, I need a test booklet, and answer keys for both the tests and the problems in the main book, right?

Another yes vote for the home school version. A KEY difference for us is that the answer books *show the work*. My son hates the version of Saxon Algebra that he is currently using -- and his complaint is that it does not show the work along with the answer so he can figure out where he went wrong.

DISCLAIMER: it might be because I am using a pretty old version of the Algebra; or it might be that at this level, they don't show the work. But he tells me repeatedly that he misses being able to check his work, against the work in the answer book. For this reason, we are utilizing Khan Academy heavily lately...

• 2 months later...

Well the homeschool version gives you the full solutions manual plus worksheets and answer keys at a lower cost. The only real difference is that in order to reduce costs for homeschoolers, while adding the full solutions manual, they made the text into a softcover. *** The solutions manual in the homeschool version is so great because it shows the work for EVERY problem in the booK!** the others only show the work for tests, and the everyday work only shows the answer!

The homeschool version is good deal, if you buy the kit from Rainbow Resource especially. They have the best deal of all on the Homeschool Kit.

And unless you have more than 3 or 4 dc, the book doesn't get that much wear and tear, so having the softcover really is not a big deal. You can also cover it with a paper bag to reduce wear and tear.

THe binding on the softcover is excellent, too. My son was NOT careful with the book and it held up perfectly the entire year.

Additonally, for the school edition, they re-labeled the books in a very annoying and confusing way, so I can't see how that would help you to buy the school edition.

What you do NOT want, is the first edition hardback of ANY of the books. They do not include the mental math! They also do not have tiny lesson numbers next to the review problems which refer you back to the original lesson if you are stuck. I tried to borrow a friend's first edition and it was so different, then I read in my Art Reed book never to use the first editions.

Edited by Calming Tea