Menu

What do your low glycemic meals look like?

With my dinners, I've been eating sweet potatoes sometimes instead of white potatoes. But oftentimes I don't eat potatoes or starches at all and have been just filling up on extra veggies, salad with low fat dressing, and have found out I have a liking for butternut squash and acorn squash.

I know that eating something like potatoes, bread, rice, or pasta with every meal is sort of an ingrained habit, but once you get yourself out of that habit, you get used to eating meals without it. Extra protein, extra veggies, no need for so many carbs!

I no longer eat carbs every day, let alone every meal the way I used to, and I've lost 26 lbs since November. :) (I did the South Beach Diet thing where I cut out carbs all together initially and then gradually phased them back in but with healthier alternatives and not on a daily basis anymore).

ETA: I've also tried spaghetti squash prepared like pasta but didn't love it myself. You might, though! You can also prepare cauliflower like mashed potatoes!

Edited by NanceXToo

A meat, lower starch veggie like lettuce, spinach, green beans, tomatoes, onions, mushrooms, green peppers, etc., either a small serving of brown rice or a small sweet potato. I am also not doing the sweet potato or rice at dinner typically and will try to do some sort of bean like kidney, black, etc. We also eat cheese, yogurt, cream cheese, eggs, peanut m&m's, strawberries, blueberries, etc. We don't do any whole grain bread due to dh's problems with gluten. I tend to stay away from low fat stuff because they do tend to have more carbs.

I have been thinking about this some, and am wondering what full meals look like. Being from the South, I can't imagine a meal without bread and potatoes! lol

From the South here too, our meals growing up were always a meat, a green veggie, a "yellow" veggie (squash, carrots, tomato, sweet potato) and a starch (potato, rice, corn, bread, etc.) I think my mom must have learned that in home ec in the '40s.

I've always used that formula and when I had to change my diet (anti-inflammatory), I just dropped the starch and the high fat meats. So a meal is baked fish, a green salad, and cooked squash. I really miss the lemon pasta that I used to make with it, but I'm used to it now.

With eliminating all grains (corn, potato, rice, wheat, etc.) and all sugar, I am fine eating the more sugary veggies like carrots and sweet potatoes and even fruit, YMMV.

Other meats here are baked chicken, grilled chicken, grilled pork chops, turkey. No more fried chicken or chicken-fried steak!

Breakfast is eggs, fruits and nuts.

I don't make much in the way of casseroles anymore. I had to give up dairy and without grains, there is nothing to hold them together.

Pretty much our go-to meals are

Chicken, pork, or fish thrown on the grill

Green salad with allowed fixins

One other veggie; asparagus, broccoli, squash, cauliflower, greens, etc.

A favorite dessert is ricotta cheese, berries, and slivered almonds. We don't like sweetness but you can add a packet of artificial sweetener if you like.