Menu

Popsicle Planning?..help

singbanshee

Okay I "thought" I read somewhere on this board of someone who did their planning (I believe they were using AO) by writing on popsicle sticks and they would pull so many out each day and that would be their schedule for the day. It helped keep things fresh and fun.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about??

I remember this too and have been thinking about it ever since...for chores, school subjects, books to read, etc. I'm like 99% sure I "know" who posted about it, but I can't remember her exact board name. I think her name is Trish or Trisha (I can picture her avatar in my head) and she has a big family. I've visited her blog. I think she mentioned putting each read-a-loud or non-3R's subject (?) for the week on a popsicle stick and placed all of the sticks in a jar at the beginning of the week. Each day a child would pick out a stick (or more?) for them to do that day until the jar was empty by the end of the week. I've loved the idea and have been pondering ways of doing this or something similar. :bigear:

• 2 weeks later...

I am so glad you posted this when you did. I checked out the blog post linked and realized I had the colored tongue depressor sticks in my craft cupboard. I pulled out 6 colors plus the natural. I made a separate color for each kid, DS13 green, DD12 Red, DS8 Blue, DD4 Orange. I used purple for chores, yellow for bonus activity(ot chore), and natural for meal helper. We have been using these for almost 2 weeks now and the kids LOVE them.

EAch morning the kids randomly grab 6 of their sticks, then they each grab 1 natural colored one, that child is my meal helper for the meal listed (breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks-the goal is to train them to take charge of all meal prep for that meal rather than just helping), lastly 1 child picks a yellow stick. There are 4 that say chores, 1 says PE, 1 says nature study/walk, 1 says composer study. If a chores stick is pulled they each pull a purple and that is the chore they are to maintain all day. The goal is to have them have a chore AND a nonus activity/subject each day but babysteps right.

I keep a list of their subjects and checkmark when they have done them, subjects they have completed the required number of times for the week go into my jar, subjects that need to come up again go back into their cup.

Really it is like a loop schedule but more hands on/visual for them than just a paper listing in front of them. I have fun stuff mixed in with the regular subjects which makes it more fun to them. occasionally they have had a day that is all easy/fun subjects and they think those days are the best. They offset the days that have a heavier load.

I wish I had seen this sooner, it has made a world of difference in our homeschool and how willing the kids are to do their work.