Menu

Looking for a movie about Germany around the time the Wall came down

I'm looking for a movie about the demonstrations the preceded the events when the Wall came down. I'm thinking in particular of demonstrations around one of the churches in a big eastern city, probably Leipzig.

Or if anyone can think of another good movie on the topic. I already have both The Lives of Others and Goodbye Lenin.

I was trying to explain to my kids the months (years even, if you back to Solidarity in Poland) of events that culminated in the the opening of the border.

Not exactly what you are looking for (I don't know of any film devoted directly to the demonstrations), but one of the best movies about divided Germany is the film "The promise" by Margrethe von Trotta. It narrates the story of a couple who get separated in an attempt to flee from the East, through the reunification. Very moving, very accurate.

Not exactly what you are looking for (I don't know of any film devoted directly to the demonstrations), but one of the best movies about divided Germany is the film "The promise" by Margrethe von Trotta. It narrates the story of a couple who get separated in an attempt to flee from the East, through the reunification. Very moving, very accurate.

Can you think of one that is largely set in the main church of Leipzig? I can picture it in a church bookstore, with candlelight vigils and marches. But I didn't buy it then and can't remember what it was.

But I'll look for The Promise.

I was just coming in to mention that one. We watched it when I took German Film and I recommend it highly.

I doubt if this is the one you're looking for, but when I searched IMDB for Leipzig, it came up

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0311141/

I have it in German and it was recommended by a friend. It's more of a before and after, "after school special" sort of movie, set in Leipzig at the Thomanerchor.

This is a modern adaptation of a famous German children's book by Erich Kaestner "Das fliegende Klassenzimmer". It is not really about the fall of the Wall.

I already have both The Lives of Others and Goodbye Lenin.

The Lives of Others is an incredible film! But PLEASE preview -- it is very adult in theme, and in topics: psychological domination by the Secret Police; one woman forced into having sex with a Party member so she doesn't lose her privileges -- and ends up committing suicide; the incredible fear and mutual suspicion among ordinary people and neighbors from threat of being turned in to the secret police... As a mature (in my 40s) adult, who comes from a cinema background, I have to say I was almost physically SICK at the interrogation scene and the scene in which the Party member basically starts to force himself on the woman -- even though NOTHING is shown, and it is mostly implied.

The transformation of the secret police agent by exposure to beauty and art while he does his job of spying on a playwright and his live-in actress girlfriend to the point of gaining a soul and renouncing his job is so moving! But this is not an "action" film, and many Americans will struggle watching this -- it is in German with subtitles, and so much of the movie is "internal", and so, to many people would feel "slow" or "dull".

A wonderful film to watch together/discuss -- but with with an OLDER teen/young 20s student. Just throwing in my 2 cents, FWIW. Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.

Or if anyone can think of another good movie on the topic. I already have both The Lives of Others and Goodbye Lenin.

If you have any East German friends, have them explain some of the funny parts in Goodbye Lenin.

When the film was shown in German theatres, one could tell who in the audience was from the East and who was from the West: the Easterners laughed, but half the time the Westerners did not have a clue what we found funny.

So, if you use this with your kids, get some people who lived in the East to talk to them.

A propos Lorie's comments about Life of the Others: the film is somewhat disturbing, but it is quite an accurate portrayal of the secret service work and of the kinds of leverage they had over average people (you could indeed be blackmailed with the threat that your kid would lose her spot at school. And it was rare to find a person who had really nothing to lose - mainly old people).

I personally find it a *good* thing the film is disturbing, because then it does send a powerful message.

A propos Lorie's comments about Life of the Others: the film is somewhat disturbing, but it is quite an accurate portrayal... I personally find it a *good* thing the film is disturbing, because then it does send a powerful message.

Totally agree, Regentrude. I loved this film (especially because it ends as a powerfully, positive, transformation of the main character), and am looking forward to sharing it with friends as part of a "movie night" DH and I sometimes do, to expose our friends to powerful films.

However, I added my caveat to this thread due to the fact that I noticed in the original poster's signature that her oldest was only grade 8. I am quite conservative, so I would not be willing to show this to a student under age 16 -- and older, if the specific student was very sensitive. Just me! :)

Warmest regards, Lori D.

However, I added my caveat to this thread due to the fact that I noticed in the original poster's signature that her oldest was only grade 8. I am quite conservative, so I would not be willing to show this to a student under age 16 -- and older, if the specific student was very sensitive. Just me! :).

Lori, I did not mean to argue with your assessment at all. I guess I expressed myself poorly.. I just wanted to say that the movie is not portraying things in a sensationalist way, but is very realistic.

My perspective is probably different from yours because the things portrayed in the film were part of my own childhood and youth... so I don't feel I have to shelter my kids from a mere film about it, if that makes any sense.

(My main concern with younger viewers would be the sheer length of the film.)

You are very kind, regentrude! I did not take your comments that way at all. :)

I love hearing your very different perspective. Such thoughts help me constantly re-evaluate what to discuss with our DC and when, what to expose them to and when, etc.

Warmest regards, Lori

subscribing to remember.

I just watched a movie that was about the wall going up

Tunnel 21.

supposedly there is one about the tunnel story but is in German. but they said it was still good to watch.

netflix has it on instant

I also think Showing kids the Rocky movie where he fights the russian would show that time mentality.

I saw the first Russian planes on Am soil while in AK in 89-90. It was a Mig and then their largest plane.

I mentioned Lives of Others and Goodbye Lenin mostly because we already own them. In fact I showed them some scenes of Goodbye Lenin last week when we were discussing the events of 1989.

I did actually show them some of Lives of Others a couple years back. But we also lived in Berlin when it came out. While we don't have the personal experience that Regentrude does, it is a topic that has come up frequently.

Having said that Lives is a brutal movie. It tells the story vividly, unforgettably; but it pulls no punches and was not at all written as a family film.