Menu

Childrens Homer or Black Ships Before Troy?

raganfamily

What ages are your children? We used both, for different reasons.

I had the text of Children's Homer hanging around, but it worked so well as a car audiobook (unabridged) that we never cracked the book. Black Ships is a Big Kid picture book. It has pictures, but also a lot of text. So I assigned that as independent reading in the middle grades, after they had heard the audiobook of Children's Homer a few times.

I don't think either is too suitable for the 5-8 yo set, unless they are already used to full-length works in audiobooks. If you've already trained them to it, then you could probably get away with the audiobook.

For the first time this year, they read a full translation of The Odyssey, following along with an audiobook with their own texts, and it went really well. They really enjoyed it.

Black Ships Before Troy is a retelling of The Iliad, while The Children's Homer is a retelling of both The Iliad and The Odyssey. Black Ships Before Troy is a little easier to follow, since The Children's Homer uses flashbacks and its sentence structure is a bit more complex.

I have my kids read both, but I prefer The Children's Homer. Black Ships had more details about the battles than I cared for. I believe The Children's Homer is available online for free (under its previous title).

HTH!