Menu

MFW is this my fit?

I've had Sonlight and I have had TOG. I adored TOG and if my second born was a "go getter" like my first born, I would use it. Or maybe if I wasn't also teaching 10th, 4th, 3rd, 1st, K., and Pre K, then I'd have energy to plan 8th grade. ;)

I consider Sonlight too lightweight for this child, but he is NOT a planner so a guide is a must have.

I think MFW might be a good fit. Thoughts?

(Posting in high school because whatever we choose we plan on sticking with in high school because he likes predictability.

Are you saying that next year you'll have an 8th grader (and a 4th grader) who could use the middle cycle of MFW?

If so, my ds used MFW's ECC in 8th grade. (Well, for 2nd semester, because we were on a weird schedule.) If you get ECC 2nd edition, there is a nice extra grid to keep those 8th graders busy with a little research and some short country reports, plus a couple of literature studies and some grammar. Oh, and some of the "science biomes" are actually part of the social studies credit for the 8th grader. And it's not too heavily weighted towards social studies, so that the 8th grader can also be getting up to speed on more textbooky science, finalize the grammar basics, and maybe move on to Algebra. I think it's very balanced. We even had time for a sort-of "shop class with dad" that year, which gets hard to fit in in high school. But yet I felt ECC gave a very academically sound year, with a solid understanding of the world and a prayerful attitude towards other people.

Does that help?

Julie

That does help! Actually, I'll have an eighth grader, a fifth grader, a fourth grader, and a very young second grader in MFW if that's what I choose. DS is a math and science lover so he will be doing Spectrum Chemistry with DD beginning in March. It would be great to have this be a little light so we can focus on science, grammar, and writing.

I'd actually like to start with year two. Would I be truly crippled if I skipped ECC??

I'd actually like to start with year two. Would I be truly crippled if I skipped ECC??

:lol: I doubt it!

I am a fan of CTG, because you go through the Old Testament history but do cool things like reenact the 10 plagues and focus on the feasts, which really hit home for us regarding New Testament things that started in the OT.

Anyways, one problem is going to be that he'd do ancient history again the next year. But it's the whole OT that time, so no time for fun stuff like the feasts. Lots of folks end up in that situation and it works out fine. But most folks would plan ECC if they had the choice.

The other issue I'd give some thought to would be the 4th grader. Somehow starting into history, with ancient practices and just the failures of history, was easier for my son after he spent a year praying for the world in ECC. Doing ECC first totally changed his attitude, his idea of what a hero is, and his understanding of the mess of history. But not sure whether your 4th grader is already there. My son was coming out of public school when we did ECC for the first time :tongue_smilie:

Julie

agreeing with Julie.

My experience with CTG in 8th grade was my 2nd time teaching it. My oldest did CTG in 8th (because that's where we were as a family) and then in 9th she did AHL. She's in WHL now. and based on all of that, I would not have my 9th grader in WHL. definitely just do high school in order and make it easier on all. I also wouldn't start AHL in 8th even though I have a smart oldest child. Glad we waited.

anyway.. just rambling there to say that doing CTG in 8th and then AHL in 9th is doable and works fine.

I guess it depends on lots of things... but I'd hope at some point you get to do ECC as I thought it was a good year - learning to pray for others around the world, and getting a sense of current events and current places, and cultures... I like that.

-crystal

Gosh Kelly :) If you're sticking around... we'd love to have you!! We're doing MFW in our highschool :) They're doing MFW Ancients right now, and if we have enough students to do it again next year.... we will :) Then they're moving on from there... Of course, for our youngers (1st-6th) we're doing SOTW and God's design for Science... along with other subjects... (And I know you do the other co-op... just mentioning it because of the MFW... and your son :))

Carrie,

Thank you for posting! I'm doing the other one part time right now. Mondays with the addition of this particular two year old just sunk me. ;) I am so glad things are going well down there though!!

I'm working hard to talk our oldest into MFW high school World History. She doesn't like the booklist. She believes it looks weak / light. I have told her she could add anything she would like to it, but perhaps then she would have spare time. ;) I think I've almost won.

Thanks to much reading here, I have decided to go with ECC with my current seventh grader. We are switching now rather than next year. I think MFW will give him more independence and structure, two things he craves and the right amount of accountability.

I'm excited!

Edited by BlsdMama