Menu

Questions about R&S grammar and SL LA

Hi! We use R&S grammar starting in 2nd grade, my oldest is in 6th grade, and she is using level 6. We don't use the writing portion; instead we use WWS.

Anna is currently working on the chapter about pronouns. My head is about to spin right off. I'll admit that I'm no grammar expert so I have to ask you all if this stuff is necessary. I don't know many people who know what a relative clause is, to be honest, and I know a lot of intelligent people, lol. It all seems so complicated. She is getting frustrated, and so am I.

If you use R&S, do you use it all the way through 10th grade? That seems...extreme, I guess. If it's the right thing to do, we will, of course. If you switch to something else, I'd love to know that as well.

I looked at SL LA's for the first time this week. We are planning to use Core F next year. It looks okay, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of grammar, so I don't know if that will work. Is there a happy medium? If you are familiar with SL LA, can you give me your opinion?

Thanks!!

Hi! We use R&S grammar starting in 2nd grade, my oldest is in 6th grade, and she is using level 6. We don't use the writing portion; instead we use WWS.

Anna is currently working on the chapter about pronouns. My head is about to spin right off. I'll admit that I'm no grammar expert so I have to ask you all if this stuff is necessary. I don't know many people who know what a relative clause is, to be honest, and I know a lot of intelligent people, lol. It all seems so complicated. She is getting frustrated, and so am I.

If you use R&S, do you use it all the way through 10th grade? That seems...extreme, I guess. If it's the right thing to do, we will, of course. If you switch to something else, I'd love to know that as well.

I looked at SL LA's for the first time this week. We are planning to use Core F next year. It looks okay, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of grammar, so I don't know if that will work. Is there a happy medium? If you are familiar with SL LA, can you give me your opinion?

Thanks!!

We use R&S through level 6,7 or 8 depending on the kid. I use it through 8th grade. After that we concentrate on using all that grammar when we write.

I've used several Sonlight Cores and haven't been that impressed with the grammar included. It didn't seem systemic to me. I've used Shurley Grammar and R&S with all my kids--not including a brief stint with Easy Grammar.

Nakia,

I like Analytical Grammar with the Review and Reinforcement book in 6th, 7th, and 8th. In high school we just use the review books, and in context with their writing.

I haven't used Rod & Staff in those grades, and Sonlight not at all, so I don't have an opinion there.

We use R&S through level 6,7 or 8 depending on the kid. I use it through 8th grade. After that we concentrate on using all that grammar when we write.

I've used several Sonlight Cores and haven't been that impressed with the grammar included. It didn't seem systemic to me. I've used Shurley Grammar and R&S with all my kids--not including a brief stint with Easy Grammar.

Thank you for responding. I know R&S if thorough, but I think after 5 years with it, we need a change. Is Shurley Grammar pretty similar?

We tried SL LA and it was just horrible. Things were so haphazard and there was no actual writing instruction - seriously, it's my absolute worst homeschooling thing ever, even worse than Saxon!

Yeah, the more I read, the more I see the same opinion. And the sample IG just looks a mess. I found out today that you have to purchase a separate grammar program. I'm crossing that off my list.

Nakia,

I like Analytical Grammar with the Review and Reinforcement book in 6th, 7th, and 8th. In high school we just use the review books, and in context with their writing.

I haven't used Rod & Staff in those grades, and Sonlight not at all, so I don't have an opinion there.

I saw AG mentioned somewhere else. I'm going to look at that. Thanks!! Oh, I see you said you haven't used R&S in those grades. Did you use it at some point and then go to something else? I'm just wondering how the transition is.