Menu

Proactiv? or what? help!!

I am new to this skin problem and all I have heard of is Proactiv...I see very mixed reviews.

Are there other things that are raved about for getting rid of acne?

I've never had skin problems in my life. Not in puberty. Not in pregnancy. I have tried changing cleansers. I have tried going all-natural with my skin care. I have tried all I know to try! UGH!!

I guess I'm at the point where I'm willing to spend a *little* more and find something that will work and kick this stuff.

Help! :)

Thanks!

Ok, just did a quick search and it looks like this has been discussed before. Sorry! I will try acne.org and see what I can find.

(I'll also try to delete if it will let me...)

Acne.org has the benzoyl peroxide solution. I think - if I remember correctly - they advise to use Cetaphil as a cleanser.

You can also add Chelated Zinc (this was suggested by a poster here) 90mg (caplet form available at health food stores) daily to improve skin and hair.

I like Proactiv. I've never had major acne but sometimes I get a few zits that won't go away. I have used Proactiv a few times in my life, switching back to cheaper washes when the acne seemed under control. Now I'm back to using it. In fact, I started it again about a month ago and within a week the zits were gone.

I have found that I only seem to need the first face wash in the system, even though they recommend using the whole system. And I only use it once a day, not twice a day.

Our local mall has a Proactiv vending machine and that's where I get mine, so I don't have to worry about getting it in the mail and trying to keep up with their schedule.

If acne.org and/or Proactiv do not help you significantly, see your doctor. Really. I could kick myself that I spent years being miserable about adult acne when the prescription worked immediately.

I did the same thing. I started having acne problems after my 2nd child. I ended up being allergic to Proactiv and out of desperation started using Butt Paste. I know, I know... sounds weird, but I have to tell you, IT WORKED! :D I put it on thicker at night after cleaning my face well and after another face wash in the morning I put on a thin amount. If you put on too much in the morning, your make-up doesn't go on well. Even though I've cleared up, I still use it! FYI: The Natural green tube doesn't work as well.

My skin looked great when I used proactiv. No blemishes, smooth and lovely. However, I think it's pretty harsh stuff and after a few years I over on to more gentle products. However, I still break it out when I have some tough blemishes. I prefer more natural, but I really hate zits! I would use it again if need be.