Menu

Low Carb and Working Out: Is it typical to feel...................

light-headed, tired, a little bit of dizziness, brain fog?

I have been working out strenuously but I did take yesterday off and will probably take off today.

I am drinking my water - I know I am meeting that requirement.

I did just now have a slice of excellent quality whole grain bread (a small slice) toasted with peanut butter on it -- I do feel better having eaten that.

Is this to be expected? Will it pass?

DH thinks my calorie intake is too low.

TIA

I had this same problem up until 2 weeks ago, but I changed my diet to allow a certian amount of carbs a day, you need the carbs and I am actually losing/mantaining my weight better than when I wasn't eating enough carbs. So please bring up your carb intake, a slice of toast with pb is perfect especially after a hard workout.:)

Athletes do this all the time, they have special energy bars that are loaded with carbs to make up for the carbs that were lost. These are the good carbs though.

Some of that feeling can be sugar withdrawl... if you are killing yourself with exercise, you are going to need some more carbs. FWIW, when I'm exercising regularly (30-day shred, plus some other low-impact aerobic activity a few nights a week), I need a minimum of 1850 calories (not limiting fats, with about 180g of protein) just to get through the day. I usually have a whole-grain snack (1/2c. of homemade granola, or other wholegrain food), along with homemade yogurt and a bit of honey before heading to the pool on Thursday and Friday... but I'm in the pool for 90 minutes.

For me, a good rule of thumb is a max of 80g. of carbs for a "light" exercise day... and 120g. of carbs including 40g. of whole grain on "heavy" aerobic days.

Week one, I lost 8#... hoping week 2 will give me a couple too!

Carbs are energy. If you are limiting your energy and killing yourself through exercise, you will not feel good.

If want to continue with the reduced carb, perhaps tone down your exercise (yes, I said exercise less).

:blink: OK, I feel like I have gone to the parallel universe. Can I add carbs (good carbs), exercise strenuously, and still lose weight?

I had this same problem up until 2 weeks ago, but I changed my diet to allow a certian amount of carbs a day, you need the carbs and I am actually losing/mantaining my weight better than when I wasn't eating enough carbs. So please bring up your carb intake, a slice of toast with pb is perfect especially after a hard workout.:)

Athletes do this all the time, they have special energy bars that are loaded with carbs to make up for the carbs that were lost. These are the good carbs though.

(In red above) How many carbs a day (and I understand we are talking quality carbs)? Have you tried any energy bars that you would recommend? I have this phobia about the calories in them.

I will say that after eating the toast and peanut butter, I feel immediately better.

Thanks to both of you for the advice -- I will check back for your answers.

Some of that feeling can be sugar withdrawl... if you are killing yourself with exercise, you are going to need some more carbs. FWIW, when I'm exercising regularly (30-day shred, plus some other low-impact aerobic activity a few nights a week), I need a minimum of 1850 calories (not limiting fats, with about 180g of protein) just to get through the day. I usually have a whole-grain snack (1/2c. of homemade granola, or other wholegrain food), along with homemade yogurt and a bit of honey before heading to the pool on Thursday and Friday... but I'm in the pool for 90 minutes.

For me, a good rule of thumb is a max of 80g. of carbs for a "light" exercise day... and 120g. of carbs including 40g. of whole grain on "heavy" aerobic days.

Week one, I lost 8#... hoping week 2 will give me a couple too!

WOW! Congrats!:)

Okay -- here is a therapy moment for me: I would need HUGE amounts of therapy to be convinced that I should consume anything over 20g of carbs in a day. Seriously. I know that IS my issue -- but that is me.

I can eat very low carb (under 30 grams/day) and still work-out strenuously (a P90x workout, 30 day shed + 30 minutes of cardio, etc.), if I eat enough fat and calories.

*I* never feel bad when I'm eating low-carb. YMMV.:001_smile:

THAT is helpful. I can workout similarly -- I see that I am low in the fat and calories department. Thanks again -- that helps.:)

Okay -- here is a therapy moment for me: I would need HUGE amounts of therapy to be convinced that I should consume anything over 20g of carbs in a day. Seriously. I know that IS my issue -- but that is me.

I didn't pull that number out of a hat... Belly Fat Cure (he limits sugars and carbs... 120g of carbs only 15g of sugars INLUCLUDING fruits). I allow myself more fruit (not a lot more, but more). I might not lose weight as quickly as someone else, but I will enjoy life much, much more!

While the body does convert protein to energy it is a more difficult process. You will burn 2/3 of the calories from protein just in the conversion process...meaning you need a LOT more protein to get the same energy. Whereas, only 1/3 of the calories from carbs are burned preparing it for use (which is why they become fat more easily).

So yes... either you need to eat more carbs in order to have the energy to work out, or you need to seriously reduce the exercise.

MariannaNOVA,

Yes, you can add more carbs and exercise and lose weight.

I know low carb works for some people and it may still work for you. But you are not feeling good now. Diet and exercise is a giant experiment. I asked ShaunT (Insanity and Asylum person) about the right diet and supplements for some of his hybrid programs and basically he said the fine tuning is up to me. He and I and everybody in the room could do the same exercise routine and eat exactly the same food and get different results.

BTW, I have been using myfitnesspal to watch my fat/carb/protein ratios. It is free and I recommend it for helping you find the right balance you need.

I didn't pull that number out of a hat... Belly Fat Cure (he limits sugars and carbs... 120g of carbs only 15g of sugars INLUCLUDING fruits). I allow myself more fruit (not a lot more, but more). I might not lose weight as quickly as someone else, but I will enjoy life much, much more!

While the body does convert protein to energy it is a more difficult process. You will burn 2/3 of the calories from protein just in the conversion process...meaning you need a LOT more protein to get the same energy. Whereas, only 1/3 of the calories from carbs are burned preparing it for use (which is why they become fat more easily).

So yes... either you need to eat more carbs in order to have the energy to work out, or you need to seriously reduce the exercise.

I knew you didn't pull it out of a hat -- ;) -- I knew it was a reasonable and intelligent suggestion -- I actually have THAT book on the shelf in my pantry -- I bought it over the summer when I was 'staging' the pantry b/c our house was on the market.

You have motivated me to take the book off the shelf and read it -- many thanks for that.:)

And, thank you for the fat/protein/carb explanation -- those kinds of explanations help me intellectualize what I SHOULD know but body image and workout issues keep me from seeing clearly.

Thanks again.:)

MariannaNOVA,

Yes, you can add more carbs and exercise and lose weight.

I know low carb works for some people and it may still work for you. But you are not feeling good now. Diet and exercise is a giant experiment. I asked ShaunT (Insanity and Asylum person) about the right diet and supplements for some of his hybrid programs and basically he said the fine tuning is up to me. He and I and everybody in the room could do the same exercise routine and eat exactly the same food and get different results.

BTW, I have been using myfitnesspal to watch my fat/carb/protein ratios. It is free and I recommend it for helping you find the right balance you need.

Thank you so much! (((((hugs))))) -- Such good info. Thanks again.:)

Under 20 is for short term only, not a long term way of life. Eat more fruits and veggies and you will be over that, and into a safer area.

Under 20 is for short term only, not a long term way of life. Eat more fruits and veggies and you will be over that, and into a safer area.

Thank you -- I DID tell dh last night that a woman on the board was feeling the same way but it turned out that she is pg. His eyes almost fell out of his head. BUT, that being said, I am 57 so pg is definitely not going to happen around here. THAT ship has sailed.:)