Menu

Need help with next year's foreign language: 7th grade Spanish and 4th grade Latin

7th grader will have finished 2/3 of Rosetta Stone/ Getting Started with Spanish, and 4th grader will have finished Lively Latin Bk.1 in May...

What Spanish would you all recommend for a 7th grader who has completed 2/3 of Rosetta Stone and Getting Started with Spanish? (RS was abandoned after 2 years here... not such a good fit). I'm leaning toward Spanish for Children, but I'm not convinced this is best. I'd like something that he can start in 7th that will carry through 8th. He'll most likely do high school foreign language through a local homeschool covering.

Same question for Latin. I *think* my 3rd grader will finish Lively Latin Book 1 by the end of this year. We do 1 page/day and skip the history. He is having no problems at the moment. Wouldn't moving on into LL2 be too much for a 4th grader??? I really don't want to increase the difficulty in 4th grade... I would rather camp out for a year and use something to make the LL lessons gel before we move on. What would you recommend for this?

Thank you!

Didn't realize untill after posting that I'm asking about 4th grade on the Logic board... blush :)

Edited by Sweet Home Alabama

For Spanish, dd will be using Holt McDougal's ¡Avancemos! 1A next year, in 5th grade. ¡Avancemos! is a typical high school Spanish curriculum, with a 1A and 1B for middle schoolers. They have online support, too, which is what made me decide to use it. Program and ordering information is here.

Tara

Lively Latin 2 is so large that I think she is recommending using it for two years. I know we easily went through the first one in a year, but it took a 4th and 5th grade to go through the second. I thought it laid a really strong foundation and the transition to the faster-paced Galore Park Latin Prep for 6th has been pretty seamless.`

Lively Latin 2 is so large that I think she is recommending using it for two years. I know we easily went through the first one in a year, but it took a 4th and 5th grade to go through the second. I thought it laid a really strong foundation and the transition to the faster-paced Galore Park Latin Prep for 6th has been pretty seamless.`

Thanks, Lorax. Are you glad you went with LL2, or in hindsight do you wish you had used something different? We are enjoying LL, but I've read some posts that make me question about continuing with LL2.

Some have gone on to do First Form or Latin Prep. (Seems like there were others.)

How much does LL increase in difficulty? I'm tempted to make a lateral move so that we take our time during 4th grade and solidify the material learned in LL1. I've wondered about trying LFC for this reason. I didn't want to use LFC for 3rd grade; LL has been a better fit. As a lateral move for reinforcement, however, it might be ok.

Just thinking outloud...

Thanks very much for responding!

Tara, thanks very much for the recommendation for Avancemos.

I'm also considering Spanish for Children.

There just isn't much to choose from is there?

Can anyone else add to the suggestions? Pretty please?:bigear:

This student has finished most of Rosetta Stone Latin America Spanish and will complete Getting Started with Spanish at the end of this year. What should he do in 7th and 8th grades?

Tara, thanks very much for the recommendation for Avancemos.

I'm also considering Spanish for Children.

There just isn't much to choose from is there?

Can anyone else add to the suggestions? Pretty please?:bigear:

This student has finished most of Rosetta Stone Latin America Spanish and will complete Getting Started with Spanish at the end of this year. What should he do in 7th and 8th grades?

Honestly, I would just pick whatever you want to use for high school. There is no reason that most 7th/8th graders cannot do high school level foreign language.

As to resources, my kids take French, not Spanish, but the Spanish counterparts might work well. (We are very happy w/French). My kids do a combo of Tell Me More, Breaking the Barrier and French in Action. TMM and BtB both have Spanish and FiA's counterpart is Destinos. http://www.learner.org/resources/series75.html FiA is the equivalent of 2 full yrs of college level French. My 7th grader loves it. (FWIW, she completed the first 2 books of BtB in 5th and 6th)

For Latin, my kids love Latin Prep.

HTH

7th grader will have finished 2/3 of Rosetta Stone/ Getting Started with Spanish, and 4th grader will have finished Lively Latin Bk.1 in May...

What Spanish would you all recommend for a 7th grader who has completed 2/3 of Rosetta Stone and Getting Started with Spanish? (RS was abandoned after 2 years here... not such a good fit). I'm leaning toward Spanish for Children, but I'm not convinced this is best. I'd like something that he can start in 7th that will carry through 8th. He'll most likely do high school foreign language through a local homeschool covering.

I'm not sure if your son has complete 2/3 of Level 1 Rosetta Stone, or 2/3 of the whole 5 levels?

Assuming 2/3 of Level 1....

Avancemos is a great Spanish textbook with excellent online activities. My DD12 is almost finished with book 2 and will be starting book 3 in a couple weeks. She does this with a local tutor. Avancemos is also used by the local college prep high school. My son in public school uses Paso a Paso which, imo, is a much inferior book and the online support is a joke.

That said, I would only use a textbook if his listening/comprehension skills are solid. I think training the ear to comprehend conversations by quick speaking natives is vital to learning a language. We have not used, but have done demos of Visual Link and the Learnables. I suggest you look at those. Or maybe pair Avancemos with Visual Link/Learnables. We also did a demo of Tell Me More, but the material for my dd's level was very boring for a 12yo. It was all adult & business situations.

Also, the Avancemos online activities are free and available to anyone. There is no 'key' needed to access it. http://www.classzone.com/cz/find_book.htm?tmpState=&disciplineSchool=wl_hs&state=WA&x=15&y=26

I'm not sure if your son has complete 2/3 of Level 1 Rosetta Stone, or 2/3 of the whole 5 levels?

Assuming 2/3 of Level 1....

Avancemos is a great Spanish textbook with excellent online activities. My DD12 is almost finished with book 2 and will be starting book 3 in a couple weeks. She does this with a local tutor. Avancemos is also used by the local college prep high school. My son in public school uses Paso a Paso which, imo, is a much inferior book and the online support is a joke.

That said, I would only use a textbook if his listening/comprehension skills are solid. I think training the ear to comprehend conversations by quick speaking natives is vital to learning a language. We have not used, but have done demos of Visual Link and the Learnables. I suggest you look at those. Or maybe pair Avancemos with Visual Link/Learnables. We also did a demo of Tell Me More, but the material for my dd's level was very boring for a 12yo. It was all adult & business situations.

Also, the Avancemos online activities are free and available to anyone. There is no 'key' needed to access it. http://www.classzone.com/cz/find_book.htm?tmpState=&disciplineSchool=wl_hs&state=WA&x=15&y=26

That has not been our experience w/the French at all and they have been using it for 3 1/2 yrs

FWIW, SweetHomeAlabama, I have what I think is all of the TMM Spanish w/the exception of 1 disk (I have no idea which one is missing. Our 20 yr old used it for Spanish 4 and then I gave it to my sister and she lost something) Anyway, you are welcome to it for free if you would like to figure out what is there and if it is useable the way it is. Just pm me.

That has not been our experience w/the French at all and they have been using it for 3 1/2 yrs

I even contacted TMM and asked if I was missing something (because I really wanted to like this program)... but they said, no, the level she tested at only contained adult situations. I don't remember the level, but I think it was over 5.