Menu

spelling program for Kindergarten/1st grade?

Mommamia

I did SWR with my 2nd ds, although the goal was to get him reading. I plan on using AAS with my dd (she'll be 5 in the fall) because it's similar to SWR, but not as overwhelming.

Other than intensive-phonics-type programs like these, I wouldn't do spelling with a child that age. JMO

Kelsy

Based upon my own experience, I would say focus on reading and handwriting first. Once your dc is beginning to read, and can form his / her letters correctly, introduce a spelling program. It's more complicated to learn to spell when you can't remember which way the letter "c" goes ;)

If you are using TOPG for reading, you will find that there are some enrichment activates that begin to introduce spelling concepts throughout the book. Many of these exercises can be done using magnetic letter tiles (which come with the book if you purchase it from PHP). This may be enough for your dc, however if they are ready for a spelling program, I have found AAS very easy to use. I used AAS with ds 8 last year when he was in 1st; I used it this year with ds 6 (then 5) in K.

I would agree with ELaurie, that at that age, it's fine to focus on phonics and reading. For K I counted ETC for our phonics/spelling, but then my dd took off and finished all of HOP, so next year we are using AAS. To me AAS reinforces what they have already learned through phonics. I hope it works well!

I think it's a good idea to start with Level 1, especially since you're starting with K/1. Level 1 is intended for 1st grade. It's a good place to start because you learn all the phonograms and the methodology of the program. If your children learn the phonograms quickly, you can move through the first few lessons in pretty short order. We were able to do 1 lesson per day, rather than per week, for quite a few lessons. Now we've hit a place where we need to slow down and practice more.

I will say that spelling and reading are entirely different things. My oldest dd is an excellent reader, but took longer to get the hang of spelling.

I LOVE All About Spelling. It's the only thing I'm using right now that I'm totally comfortable with and would not want to change. :D

Thanks, I did not know about AAS. I'm guessing I should start at level one?

FYI- my guys know their phonics and are reading.....if that makes a difference in the level to choose?

:iagree: with the others! We are starting with Level 1 next year(but I also bought Level 2 in case she flies through it!). I think that it will be great review of phonics, but it also teaches the rules of when to use c or k, when to double consonants and other rules that have to do with spelling that we didn't really hit on while doing phonics. Hope that helps!

When my daughter was not quite halfway through HOP, we started on level A of Spelling Workout. She loves spelling and reading. Personally, I believe the two go hand in hand. But it comes down to what the child/student is ready for. If the reading is going well and you can see hints of boredom, I say go ahead and start spelling.

Marsha SC

i recently found a book called Natural Speller that i am planning on using from now through (it claims) 8th grade. we are starting spelling this summer in a very relaxed manner with this book, but that's b/c DD1 has developed a sudden burning need to spell orally randomly all the time, so i figured it would be worth adding to our program now.