Menu

X-post: Homeschooling High School against student's wishes?

Hi All,

I'm posting this question on behalf of a friend. (No, really!)

She homeschools her K and 4th grade kids, but her 8th grader attends to a Christian school that only goes through 8th grade. They are now in trying to plan for next year.

Her son is truly an advanced student, and definitely needs to be challenged academically. He is in the process of applying to a few area private high schools, but will need a pretty significant scholarship to be able to attend. They haven't totally ruled out the public high school, but among other issues, it really isn't a great school.

My friend would like to homeschool him, offering opportunities for advanced online courses and eventually he would be able to take college-level classes. He is not at all interested in being homeschooled.

So now (in the event that the scholarship doesn't pan out) his parents are trying to decide whether they should just say "Look, we've considered all of the options, we think that this one is best." and let him deal with it, or if they should let him go to the public high school and deal with the accompanying issues.

Do you know of anyone who has brought an unwilling teen home for high school? How did it work out?

Thanks! :001_smile:

Speaking as a former teenager who had parents attempt homeschooling when I wasn't... er... "feeling it"; I can firmly say I think this is a bad idea. The teenage years are difficult enough on children without being taken out of a school environment they enjoy and generally thrive in.

Your friend can afterschool to provide enrichment.

I agree w/ Aimee. Bad idea. I had a middle schooler (now freshman) who fought me tooth and nail, and ended up causing his siblings to fall behind, because I was constantly having to deal w/ trying to get him to get his work done. Your friend's son may end up at the ps, only to asked to be homeschooled if he isn't getting what he needs out of it. But to force it on him would not be a good idea.

I kind of take an "I am an adult and I know better" approach to parenting. Disclaimer: I am very opposed to public school. So that might color my feelings. To me, it's

not a choice between two reasonable education choices. It to me it would be a choice between something I feel is damaging vs something healthy...so, that makes quite a difference! If you believe they are comparable choices, then I respect that and then I would say take the child's view more into consideration. Even the tiger mom eventually gave in with her younger daughter's choices to some degree!

All I can say is when I was in highschool I wished with all me heart my mom would let me go to PS...and now that I am an adult. I am SO GLAD she didn't listen...and she knew best...I have told her so too.

I gave her some grey hair over it...but going to Community College, and working was the best thing that every happened to me as a young person...it set me up to be able to advance in my career as I graduated...was several years ahead of my peers in management.

I also skipped the highschool games, and dumb stuff...and went onto transitioning into the adult world that allowed me to learn from those who were older and wiser...

I can't tell you what to do... but I can offer that perspective from someone who was in her son's shoes.