Menu

Anyone else combining (or has combined) SOTW 2 and Ambleside?

I think this is what we will be doing. We have done so much better listening to the SOTW CD'S. We are going to continue on with that and add some AO 2 books as well as a library book basket for each SOTW chapter. We are loving the freedom of using History Scribe pages (just started this recently).

We are currently doing SOTW 2, but I plan on doing Ambleside Year 3 with my 2 older dss next year. We will listen to the rest of SOTW 2 (the part that we won't finish this year; I'm stopping where AO Year3 picks up) and SOTW 3 next year while doing the AO readings.

Kelsy

I combined some Ambleside with SOTW 1 and I'm planning to do it again w/ SOTW 2. I'm planning on using My Island Story, Fifty Famous Stories Retold, The Awakening of Europe and On the Shores of the Great Sea. I'll read the appropriate chapters from these books to go along w/ chapters from SOTW 2. SOTW is my main spine but the Ambleside books are a nice addition.

I'm doing that next year. I love OIS and will use that as my main spine. We will listen to the appropriate chapters from SOTW 2 on cd and use the maps, coloring pages, and activities in the Activity Guide. We will also use CHOW and 50 Famous Stories. Oh, and a few chapters from TCOO. I am very excited about this schedule! In fact, if all goes well, dh will be teaching the boys history next year (depends on his class load...PhD). Only makes sense since he is the Medievalist in the family!

The late Melissa Gray compiled a list that helps to add SOTW to AO.

It is available here:

http://www.geocities.com/justahappygrl/

I'm not sure if I'll be adding SOTW 2 or not. I think I'm going to read from The History of US Vol. 1 to cover early North American history alongside the English history. But, so far, I'm adding nothing to AO. I wanted to have all of our AO study in place before I added to it, since we are new to AO.

Isn't that list awesome!!! I do have that all printed out. I was just looking through it and thinking how she lives on through that little list.

My oldest is an Aspie and still needs a lot of direction. So, it's just easier for me to have one schedule for everyone. Whenever I waver too much I loose track of him.

• 15 years later...