Menu

s/o I need a good blender/smoothies

So, for those of you who use your blenders for making smoothies.....would you tell me what you use? In the other post I confessed that I killed my blender by trying to use ice and frozen fruit in mine. Wondering if most people DON'T use ice/frozen fruit. I LOVE the really cold, frozen kind of smoothie. Maybe I just need to get over that?

Would love to know:

What kind of blender you use/how long you've had it.

Do you use ice AND frozen fruit? (If not, what do you do?)

Would love it if you posted your family's favorite smoothie recipe. My girls are begging me to replace the blender so that we can have smoothies. The girls and I would have them daily if we had a reliable blender.

TIA!

blendtec. just over a year. it will pulverize ice/frozen fruit.

Love it.

eta: just for fun, you can go to "will it blend". ;-p

Which one do you have? For that price, it had better blend anything I ask it to!! However, that said, if something really works and will continue working for the long haul, it's an investment that's worth it.

Will it blend.....too funny.

I love my Vitamix... use it 2-4x a day right now (between what I use, and what I make for the kids).

My dad has been using an Oster for years, though with ice and frozen fruits.

Thanks, Lisa! Do you use yours for ice and frozen fruits?

The one we killed was an Oster....beginning to wonder if we had a "lemon" as we only used it with ice/frozen fruit MAYBE 10 times before it died.

So, for those of you who use your blenders for making smoothies.....would you tell me what you use? In the other post I confessed that I killed my blender by trying to use ice and frozen fruit in mine. Wondering if most people DON'T use ice/frozen fruit. I LOVE the really cold, frozen kind of smoothie. Maybe I just need to get over that?

Would love to know:

What kind of blender you use/how long you've had it.

Do you use ice AND frozen fruit? (If not, what do you do?)

Would love it if you posted your family's favorite smoothie recipe. My girls are begging me to replace the blender so that we can have smoothies. The girls and I would have them daily if we had a reliable blender.

TIA!

We got a Vitamix. I had been wanting one for years, but DH wasn't convinced on the $400 price tag until he saw it in action at Costco.

If you're killing your blender, it's probably because there's too much frozen to liquid ratio. Whether it's ice or fruit doesn't matter, regular blenders need more liquid in order to blend up that much solid matter.

I just use frozen fruit for my smoothies, no ice.

My favorite green smoothie recipe is to take about 1 cup of apple juice (the sweetener), two quartered apples (seeds still in, the Vitamix can handle it) and filled with spinach. I liquify all of that then I add two bananas for creamy, smooth texture, and two cups of Costco's frozen blueberry, blackberry, raspberry blend and two cups of Costco's frozen mango, papaya, pineapple and strawberry blend. I love that the Vitamix will liquify all the seeds from the berries, nothing more annoying than raspberry and blackberry seeds getting stuck in your teeth.

My husbands favorite smoothie is to take two peeled oranges and a carrot and liquify them, add two bananas and some frozen fruit blend. He made add some apple juice or milk if it's too thick.

Bamix immersion blender (Pro model).

Until I got to reading all these smoother/blender threads, I didn't know you weren't supposed to offer up ice and rock-hard frozen fruit for smoothie blending. (Color me embarrassed ) I stick my stick blender into a tall cup and add all sorts of stuff. Never had a jam up, and there is pitcher to clean.

I use frozen fruit, but no ice.

My blender is a cheap Oster, and I've used it for about 10 years now. My dh occasionally kills a blender making oatmeal pancake mix....but I've yet to kill one with a smoothie.

I also use a Ninja, which is great for the frozen fruit. For single-serving smoothies, I like my Magic Bullet: easy to use an little to clean up.

My dream is a Vitamix. Don't know when that will happen, LOL, but on Facebook I am signed up for a daily Green Smoothie recipe and they look terrific.....if one only had a Vitamix.

Ok, my current favorite smoothies are:

Kefir (or yogurt, but I prefer kefir)

frozen pineapple

frozen mango

avocado

Stevia to taste

Coconut water (enough to make it 'move')

And:

Kefir

unsweetned baking cocoa

peanut butter (no sugar, natural, organic)

Stevia to taste

Coconut milk (enough to make it 'move' - cow milk works - cream is amazing!

If you want it thick and creamy, you can add avocado. yum!!

to the above recipe you can simply leave out the peanut butter and substitute frozen red raspberries- it's amazing!!

Thanks, Lisa! Do you use yours for ice and frozen fruits?

The one we killed was an Oster....beginning to wonder if we had a "lemon" as we only used it with ice/frozen fruit MAYBE 10 times before it died.

Ice and frozen fruits.

Favorite summer treat is 1c. ice, 1c. frozen strawberries, 1/2 lemon with some peel, 2 packets Truvia. One HUGE bowl of yummy, low carb, low-fat, sugar-free goodness.

Made a protein smoothie this a.m. with 1/2 cup whey (leftover from draining home made yogurt), 1 scoop whey powder, 1.5 c. frozen whole strawberries, 1 orange and 1/4 c. spinach. Comes out like a milkshake...

I routinely make the kids this one:

2 oranges (without most of the peel), 1 frozen banana, 1.5 c. strawberries, 1c. yogurt, 2 packets Truvia.

My favorite is this, though: 1c. frozen strawberries, 1/2 orange, 1/4 c. frozen pineapple and 1/2 c. plain yogurt, 1 packet Truvia.

My kids also like this one: 1/4 c. grape juice concentrate, 1/4 c. kale or spinach, 1/4 c. romaine, 1 apple.

My husband routinely makes frozen alcoholic beverages... as well as a lemon-lime "sorbet" using 1/2 lemon, 1/2 lime with some peel, 1 c. ice and 2 packets Truvia.