Menu

New (used) washer/dryer

We're moving, and we are going to need a new (used) washer/dryer.

My husband asked me if I want a 'stack-able front loader', and honestly, I have no idea.

Any suggestions? I remember hearing a lot about mildew with front loaders.

I'd appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

Edited by JessReplanted

I have that: Fridgidaire's washer/dryer set. The year I bought them (2005) they were Consumer's Union's Best Buy. The washer isn't as large as those girnomous frontloaders, but I can wash at least as much in it as I did in the toploader I replaced.

I've never had problems with mold/mildew. I don't leave the washer door open, I don't wipe it out. Possibly it was a design flaw that has now been corrected; I use Amway laundry products, which may have something to do with it, too. IDK.

Anyway, I've been happy with mine.

I have stackables that are not currently stacked because I have room for them side by side. Mine are Kenmore. I have never had trouble with mildew - which I attribute to leaving the washer door slightly open between loads so that it dries out. My only issue with the front loaders is that mine are too close to the ground to easily get the laundry out without making my back tired. The solution was to buy a $70 platform from Sears or to buy a $4 stool to sit on while I move laundry around. I have the $4 stool. :D

I would not want to go back to using a top-loader - I really like my front loader!

We have Whirlpool front loader. We've had it for over ten years and the only issue was the water pump, which dh replaced. No mildew, but we do leave the door cracked when not in use.

You do need to make sure you change the loads in a reasonable time frame. We left a load of towels in there for more than 24 hours once. :ack2: They had to be rewashed.

We use liquid regular detergent, just less than recommended.

I have stackables that are not currently stacked because I have room for them side by side. Mine are Kenmore. I have never had trouble with mildew - which I attribute to leaving the washer door slightly open between loads so that it dries out. My only issue with the front loaders is that mine are too close to the ground to easily get the laundry out without making my back tired. The solution was to buy a $70 platform from Sears or to buy a $4 stool to sit on while I move laundry around. I have the $4 stool. :D

I would not want to go back to using a top-loader - I really like my front loader!

Mine aren't stacked either, for the same reason yours aren't. :-) We bought the pedestals when we bought the washer/dryer.

I don't leave the door open. I have a phobia about cats climbing in there, having lost a kitty who climbed into the dryer. :ohmy::( But as I said, I've never had any problems with mildew or odors in general.