Menu

Geography??

I have not gotten responses over on the high school board, so I'm going to ask here. My 10th grader needs a geography program to help her remember the what and where (nations, states, capitals, rivers, mountains, major landmarks, etc.). My youngest really enjoyed Around the World in 180 Days and has an excellent grasp on geography. But, my oldest did not like the constant research of that program. She is more "just the facts" type learner. Suggestions for drill and/or mapwork????

We used the Trail Guide for US geography last year and are using the world one this year. I got the e-workbooks which made things a lot more independent, and I got a few sticker-atlas type books to work in to give some variety (even my oldest I think still likes sticker books, lol).

Also, in the past I have printed out blank outline maps of the world and had the kids go through our local newspaper and mark off countries or cities for each news article. I think my oldest in particular liked both reading the news and finding out where exactly it was taking place, kwim?

hth!

We're just doing it on our own without a curriculum. Runkle Geography has a schedule where it covers the world in one school year, but I found that it really moved way too fast and although my son was able to keep up, I didn't think he'd retain it. So instead, this year we're doing Africa and Asia (I think!). I just created a table and broke it down. So he covers about 5 countries every 2 weeks, along with any physical geography in area. So it will say: Week 19-20, then a list of the countries, and below that a list of the rivers, mountains, etc. of the area. I created a separate sheet with the country names and he fills in the capitals. He just uses maps I print off websites and studies the locations. I'd say he spends 10 minutes/day studying, except for when he goes to a website (such as sheppardsoftware.com) to play the games where you find countries, match capitals, etc.

Anyway, this is working very well for us. He now knows all the countries in Africa (and will continue to review them throughout the year) as well as capitals and physical geographic features. And with very little time spent on it and no money. Now he isn't learning anything in particular about the countries, other than from a reference book I had on World Geography. Whenever he begins a new region of about 5 countries, he reads the few paragraphs in that book about each country.