Menu

Brush up for Math teacher

MyLittleBears

This site is the software that is used with many college texts. You could see if you can get a copy of a used text and work the problems online for practice. (Or use the software without the text.)

The "Help me solve this" feature or "view an example" are good for explanations.

Woodbury Elementary & Intermediate Algebra - 2nd or 3rd ed is good for the rough equivalent of algebra I and II. I really like the explanations in his text (probably since we went to the same undergrad school we explain things similarly :) )

I was just thinking I need to do the same thing! I can handle 4th grade math so far, but . . . ;)

I am using Khan academy. I was thinking of getting an AoPS book - would you suggest starting with the prealgebra?

What about Mathematics, a Human Endeavor by Jacobs? Would that be a good conceptual refresher for a grown-up?

This site is the software that is used with many college texts. You could see if you can get a copy of a used text and work the problems online for practice. (Or use the software without the text.)

The "Help me solve this" feature or "view an example" are good for explanations.

:) )

This looks interesting. My ps was seriously lacking in good instruction. I want to stay ahead of my ds but also want to challenge myself. I guess I'm looking to brush up in ALL levels leading up to calculus. My dh has some great college calculus texts that he refused to part with even at my request years ago. Bless his heart, he was right!

Anyone like the Saxon books for teacher "brush up"?

Edited by MyLittleBears

I stumbled on the Master Math Series on Amazon earlier today while browsing through the textbooks. There is a code on the General forum for $10 off certain e-textbooks including most of these (if you don't have a Kindle, you can use Kindle for PC) which would get you at least one for free. They're intended to serve the purpose you're looking for and appear to have good reviews.

This site is the software that is used with many college texts. You could see if you can get a copy of a used text and work the problems online for practice. (Or use the software without the text.)…

Thank you - this is fantastic. I am going to audit Algebra this spring. I was not going to buy the text since I still have my old college text from many years ago and now I will be able to complete current exercises.

Just picked up this book at Goodwill today. Looks like a great refresher. Does not go real in depth, but the visual explanations are terrific! It covers basic elementary math, as well as geometry, trig, algebra, statistics and probability (no calculus).

http://www.amazon.com/Help-Your-Kids-Math-problem/dp/075664979X/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1325305348&sr=8-8

(sorry I do not know how to create a simpler link yet!)

Khan Academy. And it's free!

Not to mention that actually doing the problems makes me a more compassionate teacher - it took me about 30 problems to get through Multiplication 4 - I kept making dumb calculation errors. I think I will be a little kinder next time dd makes "dumb" (i.e. careless) mistakes in math!! :lol:

Khan Academy. And it's free!

If you REALLY want to be stretched, then try the Art of Problem Solving books.

:iagree::iagree:

We have so many great resources available to help us re-learn math. It is amazing how much I remember from college alg -- since I haven't used it since '92. :tongue_smilie:

I watch Khan Academy daily -- along w/ weekly viewing of my our beloved Prof Mosely CD alg videos, Lucid Ed videos, AOPS videos and weekly study of my Larson text.

Working through SM last year w/ dds has been highly productive as well.

I read my Larson alg text in my car w/ my light wedge while dds are at tennis lessons twice/week at night. (Yep, I need a life.) :)