Menu

An open invitation to all the moms of 8th graders ...

It really depends on where your dc is heading.

This is the main summary of the post. It sounds like you have a good plan for what your daughter's future is likely to be. ;)

I've been learning to tailor each of my plans to my boys. It works better than way than trying to get them to all fit into one plan.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can chime in for a little bit (now that the kids are asleep...insomnia is a blessing sometimes!) with our experiences so far.

My oldest was always homeschooled and she studied at home exclusively (except for the occasional art class or co-op) until she was a Junior. She then started taking dual enrollment classes at the community college. She needed to pass the placement tests in order to do so.

She is also a *terrible* test taker. She did well on the English & Writing sections of the SAT -- 550 range in both -- but she bombed the Math section (450). She was really enjoying her classes at the community college, however, and she decided that she was going to complete her AA degree and then transfer to a 4 year school to complete her BA/BS degree.

So that's what she did. She graduates this year (yay!) and we're currently waiting to hear from her 3 college choices to see where she'll be attending in the Fall.

It's actually been a wonderful experience! We've been able to spend the last few years with her and she's gained a great deal of maturity in the process. It's also saved us some serious $$. Spending her freshman and sophmore years at a state college away from home would've cost around $30,000; being able to take the same classes at the community college will cost less than $10,000.

Our oldest son will graduate in May. He has no college aspirations at the moment. He has high functioning autism, Asperger's syndrome. Right now, he just wants to finish high school! He may or may not choose to attend the community college. He's working on getting his driver's license (a HUGE step for him) as we speak and he wants to get a job. He's always done things at his own pace and on his own timetable, so we're willing to give him the time to do so.

Our youngest son...and the reason I'm in this thread...will be officially in the 8th grade this coming fall, but he's already working at that level now. He's always been a very good student. For the first time, I think I'll have to be watching those threads about AP classes! He's already talking about going to college (and mentioned Duke as his favorite school!) So I have my work cut out for me with this one! :)