Menu

Horizion math users . . . .

kandty

I just took a jump and bought the Horizons Math program for my 2nd grader. We had been using MUS Beta (half way through it) and even though I know changing math programs isn't the best idea . . . . . he just needed a change (and I don't want to get into the why). I think Ds will do fine with the change. I on the other hand, will struggle with this change and I need some help. I have never used a spiral math program (ok we used RightStart for two months last year but I don't care to talk about that :tongue_smilie:) and this scares me. Also, I am not sure how to get started since we are staring mid year. I was thinking of just setting a timer for 30 minutes daily and go through the workbook doing a problem here and there until we get to something new. This may take a few days (or weeks), but we review daily using MUS anyway, so he won't mind. Any other ideas? Or any ideas to make this transition smooth?

I started Horizons in the middle of 1st grade when we withdrew our son from ps. I skipped about the first 20 lessons since they were very simple for my son at that time, and then did two workbook pages per day until I caught up to where I wanted to be in the school year. You should also use the TM with your workbook pages. You probably won't have to teach every concept (at least at first), but teach the concepts that are needed and definitely do the drill work. The drill work is very important IMO. There are also speed drills as directed by the TM (which use the worksheet pages you photocopy from the back of the TM) which are very important. I use a white board to go over the concepts in the TM. If you do something like that, I think you should be fine.

Which level did you get?

With 2nd grade & up, there are quizzes (tests?) in the student workbooks every 10(?) many lessons. I'd start with taking the first of those & seeing how your ds does. If he misses a section, go back in the text, TM, & workbook and teach those. Once you get to where he doesn't know concepts, start teaching right there. (I echo the "don't forget the drills." They won't drill it until they've taught it & let it sink in for several days of practice.)

My daughter is using (one semester-behind her current math level) a Horizons workbook to review & practice. I would just work for 30 minutes each day. We do "every problem" as they are good practice. But, if your kid gets the concepts, feel free to cross off some of the other problems of the same type on that particular page.

Give yourself lots of time and grace to get used to it:) (The kids will be fine, lol - but YOU need an adjustment period). I tried Horizons 3 times, and hated it each time. 1st grade, dropped it. 2nd grade, dropped it. Finally picked it up again for 5th & 3rd (3 years later, lol). Half a year into it, and I think I'm growing to like it! LOL. I think it is a better fit now for my kids. We'd used BJU and I really liked that math, but over the past 2 years, kids were fallling behind and not grasping it. It was just time to move on. I've seen my oldest dd finally grasp long division thru the daily repetition. I didn't make her do every problem, either. We started with 2 long division problems from Horizons daily, and increased as she grew more comfortable with it. Now she can do it alone without help and gets them correct most of the time (woohoo!)

Edited by Wee Pip
clarification