Menu

Poll: Do you have a family member in prison?

Do you have a family member in prison now or previously?  

1. 1. Do you have a family member in prison now or previously?

• Yes, a close family member.
    • Yes, an extended family member.
    • No.

No - but I have one brother who has come close several times and had a few week long stays.

My mum was in a US prison for a week - she accidently overstayed her Visa by a few hours. :lol: Anybody who knows my mum knows how funny/ironic this is -she is the most law abiding citizen you would ever meet (but apparently not very smart when it comes to figuring out time needed to get to the Canadian border).

Sadly, I had to vote "yes". An extended family member served time after being found guilty of a crime that turns out he did not commit. The accuser recanted their story as an adult, came clean with the family members that mattered, and received the forgiveness of the person sent to prison. It sure took a toll on the incarcerated person, though. It aged him terribly, but thankfully did not make him bitter.

My brother-in-law (yes, the one who stayed with us) is. His issues are all alcohol-car related. Seems that once you get released from prison for such a charge and have probation it may be wise to not get drunk and dance a truck you shouldn't be in around a hotel parking lot. Go figure.

Edited by 2J5M9K

I'm sorry. Did I understand madcharity to say that being in prison was "nothing to hide"? I usually enjoy mostly lurking on these boards, but I can't get past this one. Thanks for clearing this up, if I am misunderstanding.

LOL, sorry, I meant it is nothing to hide that you have a family member there, sort of referring to the fact that the op wasn't disclosing it until she knew it was safe. :D Had I been in prison, I might hide it.

LOL, sorry, I meant it is nothing to hide that you have a family member there, sort of referring to the fact that the op wasn't disclosing it until she knew it was safe. :D Had I been in prison, I might hide it.

I also want to add that I have no IMMEDIATE family members who have been in, just extended family. We also are so fortunate to have a huge number of friends from our lifetime here and they come from a lot of different back grounds. In work we've had in the past, it wasn't unusual for us to get a call from an employee that they were in jail and could we come get them out so they could come to work? Well, sure, we are usually up for that. We refurb a lot of houses and such so we employ people. They become our family. My volunteer work also puts us in a position to know a lot of people who go to jail a lot. Then there's extended family.... oh, dear, I'm not going there... I will stake my life on the fact that people need a chance to make it, then a second chance, then a third, etc. I'm not a religious person but I KNOW it is what Jesus would do, I'm good with that. Sometimes people end up in a prison for something like price setting and they are really good, productive people who weren't bright enough to know what they were doing. I have an extended family member who did that. We love him and are so glad he's out! We don't hide it, either. Yesterday we had to set up an account for the son of a former employee who had found himself in a gang and in jail. He is getting some money from a settlement where his dad was in a car wreck and is now completely disabled and in a nursing home. SOMEBODY has to do that. Somebody has to figure out how to get money in his account at the jail for the various items he is allowed to buy. Somebody will be here when he gets out and decides to change his path. Not one thing to hide about knowing him. I hope that was explanation enough, Gratefulmother, thanks for asking. :001_smile: