Menu

Dual enrollment in Oklahoma question

most colleges/universities allow concurrent enrollment. Many of the tech centers do as well-- some have 'pre-engineering' available to homeschoolers.

Call around and ask to speak to admissions as per-requisites will differ.

I attended UCO (back in the days it was called CSU) concurrently...

To clarify-- dual enrollment counts for high school AND college credit. Concurrent enrollment is only college credit. I think this is more of an issue with public schools and their 'standards'-- the homeschoolers I know in OK count the classes as 'dual'... So if the admissions officer speaks of 'concurrent' classes do not panic!

Edited by Jann in TX

We've used dual enrollment for years here in OK. The state will pay tuition for up to 6 hours per semester (including summer) - total of 18 hours per year. The student must pay for books and fees.

Here is the link to the state department of education: http://sde.state.ok.us/Schools/Counseling/Concurrent.html

The above will give you the requirements the student must meet in order to enroll concurrently. This has been a wonderful program for my oldest 2 sons who graduated with 35 and 30 credits respectively. They were still eligible for all first time freshman scholarships. We will be starting son #3 next semester with a couple of classes.

Although the state pays for up to 6 hours per semester, you may enroll for more but you will be required to pay the tuition. For the senior year, we had the boys take 9 and 12 hours per semester. The cost at the regional universities and CCs are much cheaper than the state universities.

We've used dual enrollment for years here in OK. The state will pay tuition for up to 6 hours per semester (including summer) - total of 18 hours per year. The student must pay for books and fees.

Here is the link to the state department of education: http://sde.state.ok.us/Schools/Counseling/Concurrent.html

The above will give you the requirements the student must meet in order to enroll concurrently. This has been a wonderful program for my oldest 2 sons who graduated with 35 and 30 credits respectively. They were still eligible for all first time freshman scholarships. We will be starting son #3 next semester with a couple of classes.

Although the state pays for up to 6 hours per semester, you may enroll for more but you will be required to pay the tuition. For the senior year, we had the boys take 9 and 12 hours per semester. The cost at the regional universities and CCs are much cheaper than the state universities.

The requirements mention "accredited high school." Since your dc attend, I'm assuming that "accredited high school" is a loosely-defined term? :-)

The requirements mention "accredited high school." Since your dc attend, I'm assuming that "accredited high school" is a loosely-defined term? :-)

Homeschools are considered "schools" in OK. Basically, to enroll concurrently, one must submit an "official" transcript (mommy made is fine) and a copy of ACT/SAT scores. Then one must fill out an application and assure the authorities that the student isn't taking too many hours (concurrent + regular high school) - I think the max is 16 hours.

There are even loopholes which will allow a homeschool student to take a class at the CC even if he hasn't met the ACT score requirement. From what I'm hearing recently, the ACT score requirement is just for brick/mortar schools. I know of a young man who took classes as a senior but was unable to meet the 19 ACT requirement. He took history and math at the CC. The math, though, was only useful for high school credit because it was less rigorous than college algebra (which is the first math that can be used for college credit).

Homeschools are considered "schools" in OK. Basically, to enroll concurrently, one must submit an "official" transcript (mommy made is fine) and a copy of ACT/SAT scores. Then one must fill out an application and assure the authorities that the student isn't taking too many hours (concurrent + regular high school) - I think the max is 16 hours.

There are even loopholes which will allow a homeschool student to take a class at the CC even if he hasn't met the ACT score requirement. From what I'm hearing recently, the ACT score requirement is just for brick/mortar schools. I know of a young man who took classes as a senior but was unable to meet the 19 ACT requirement. He took history and math at the CC. The math, though, was only useful for high school credit because it was less rigorous than college algebra (which is the first math that can be used for college credit).

I knew that OK homeschools are considered schools. I was just wondering about the "accredited" part. :-)

Oh great! I was beginning to think that Oklahoma didn't have a program like this since I couldn't find anything searching the net. So, (this next question is going to show how new/uneducated I am in this area...) we are researching this option for dd15 (10th grade right now). How do you know when/if you child is ready for college courses? What highschool courses had they completed previously that prepared them for college level work? I want to be sure my dd is ready so I don't set her up to fail (kwim?). She is very excited about the possibility of college courses, so what can we do over the rest of this year/summer to make sure she is ready?

Thanks so much for any help/advice you can offer.

We always start with some easy courses that really have no pre-requisites: Microcomputer applications, music appreciation, US History. We also do at least one semester of Freshman Comp. Then, depending on the student, they have taken: intro to philosophy, macro economics, college algebra, trig, calculus 1, orchestra, Spanish (1, 2, and 3), sciences.

The student must score at least a 19 on the ACT to take a course in that area- i.e., for college algebra, a score of 19 is necessary, same for Freshman Comp - a 19 in the English section, etc.

But, again, our first semester is always microcomputer applications and music appreciation. Those classes have allowed my boys to get their feet wet in the college setting without being overwhelming.

We always start with some easy courses that really have no pre-requisites: Microcomputer applications, music appreciation, US History. We also do at least one semester of Freshman Comp. Then, depending on the student, they have taken: intro to philosophy, macro economics, college algebra, trig, calculus 1, orchestra, Spanish (1, 2, and 3), sciences.

The student must score at least a 19 on the ACT to take a course in that area- i.e., for college algebra, a score of 19 is necessary, same for Freshman Comp - a 19 in the English section, etc.

But, again, our first semester is always microcomputer applications and music appreciation. Those classes have allowed my boys to get their feet wet in the college setting without being overwhelming.

That makes a lot of sense. I feel like I'm so far behind! I should have been researching this a couple years ago, but I didn't so now I'm stressing out (dh says I do this too much :D) trying to figure out how to make this work for dd & what classes will be best for her. I think getting her started w/ something on the easy side will really help her get used to the whole college class thing, though. Thanks again for sharing your experiences.

Oh great! I How do you know when/if you child is ready for college courses? What highschool courses had they completed previously that prepared them for college level work?.

The basic rule of thumb for me was if they tested into the class (Fresh. Comp & Math) then they were ready for it. With the girls, they both started w/1 academic class & one fun. Since FL allows DE after 9th grade, they both had over 60 college credits by their hs graduation.

Since Comp is a pre-req for so many classes (including Bio!) it's a good one to start with. Our cc is smaller than our ps-hs so they got lots of help as needed. Plus every school has a tutoring center, so your dc can access that too.