Menu

ARTistic Pursuits or How Great Thou Art?

Di3kids

Looking at art curriculum. My littlest child (7) begs for art, and I feel so guilty for not doing it! Drawing with Children was a good start, but I stopped because it did not give detailed lessons.

How Great Thou Art received high honors, but this ARTistic Pursuits looks rather nice. If I do AP, not sure what level to do... I'll have 3rd, 6th, and 8th graders. The 4-6 looks a little advanced for my youngest, but UGH, I don't think I can do two levels (K-3 and 4-6). I'd appreciate any comments on either curriculum. Thanks!

Hi,

We have Artistic Pursuits and used it for a while. It did teach some concepts about art, but my daughter was frustrated by the lack of "nuts and bolts" sort of instruction. We are awaiting The Phonics of Art, Masterpiece Collection. We bought it through the homeschool buyers co-op, so got a discount. My 18 year old art major loved the samples provided, as did my 11 year old. So, we are now anxiously awaiting its arrival! To see the samples: http://www.teachartathome.com/collection_hsbc.htm

Hope that helps... rather than just adding another option to the confusion! :001_smile:TFJ

How Great Thou Art received high honors, but this ARTistic Pursuits looks rather nice. If I do AP, not sure what level to do... I'll have 3rd, 6th, and 8th graders. The 4-6 looks a little advanced for my youngest, but UGH, I don't think I can do two levels (K-3 and 4-6). I'd appreciate any comments on either curriculum. Thanks!

We really enjoy The Phonics of Drawing from http://www.teachartathome.com/PODCD.html We also have curricula from How Great Thou Art. The first one is 3 tiered for grades 1-12, but is only self-teaching if your child can read it alone. We bought the DVDs for the HGTA course we chose for my 7 yo because the teaching is right on there.

We started with all the highly recommended books we knew of at first (Drawing With Children, Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain, etc), but The Phonics of Drawing is the first hit, and my dd's love to do art. The teaching on that was good enough that when they took a Stebbing workshop (I had no idea who he was or that he sold stuff other than paintings) he called me aside and praised my girls' abilities (but ds, he said, was behind in his fine motor skills, which I knew--just so you know he wasn't just making me feel good.) They loved the workshop overall, so we bought some of his curricula because if they're going to develop their natural abilities in art they need exposure to more than one technique.

We are planning to buy the watercolour course from Masterpiece Art Instruction for next year as we love her teaching and style.

They are very different. How Great Thou Art is geared toward practicing techniques and my daughter finds it a little tedious at times. Artistic Pursuits includes art history and my daughter gets to dabble in all different media. She loves, loves, loves AP, which allows for much more creativity and freedom than HGTA, She's 8 and uses "I Can Do All Things" and the K-3 level of AP.

They complement each other very well for us.

Kris

Just wondering- I've been thinking about this too. HGTA seems to be visually distracting for me. It was the same with "I can do all things". I never made it through the program and ds got bored with it just because it was all drawing and coloring. Is HGTA the same? Drawing and coloring? Or are there other mediums of art (like clay, crafts, ect.)?

Beth

Is the Phonics of Drawing only about drawing or does it have some art history with it.looking for a complete art program for next year.

Thanks

The CD-Rom we have is only about the drawing, but she has a number of other CDs, so you may wish to check her site. How Great Thou Art does include art appreciation, and perhaps history, but we haven't made it to the end of the book, even though you're supposed to move around. Art is definitely a "do what comes next" subject in our house. Both courses do things such as colour value, etc.

To be honest, we haven't done a lot of art history yet. I'm waiting to do that in high school so I can make art a credit course. Plus, we have so many other things we're doing (my kids all do 2 math programs, for eg.)