Menu

Looking for the "perfect" geography book

kandty

Is there a book around the age level of 7-9 year olds that gives information on all the continents and some information on countries (with lots of pictures)? I really am tired of going through books at the library on each continent and country. Most are for middle school age and some just give so little information. I would love to have a general book on hand and then go to the library if we want to dig a little deeper. Any recommendations?

:bigear:

I went with A Child's Geography I: Explore His Earth, but it doesn't do that at all. Also, it's not a single BOOK, but it is fairly comprehensive: Expedition Earth, by Confessions of a Homeschooler (to differentiate it from other programs with the same name).

We do have a few good "around-the-world" resources, including:

- Children Just like Me

- Kingfisher First Picture Atlas

- World Map Geopuzzle

plus a couple of globes!

But nothing like a comprehensive curriculum. I did try Trip Around the World, but found it way too hokey.

Take a look at Expedition Earth, anyway. I love supporting other homeschooling mamas! :-)

We had a great year with The Geography Coloring Book (for facts, which I read while the kids colored, and learning the country locations), Children Just Like Me (for pictures and visualizing living in the different places), and Seterra (for reinforcement & fun competition)!

I also checked out Material World and What the World Eats from the library.

We learned the locations of all the countries of the world! It was a very successful year, but also very simple to implement!

ETA: The Geography Coloring book might be too detailed for your 7 yo. You could also just use Children Just Like Me and print out free outline maps off the internet.

Edited by profmom

We have this book. It might be a bit above the 7-9 level, but there are lots of pictures and the blurbs range from a few paragraphs to an entire page for the larger countries. I've been pleased with it and planning a world geography curriculum for the next two years based on the Kingfisher geography book.

We have this book. It might be a bit above the 7-9 level, but there are lots of pictures and the blurbs range from a few paragraphs to an entire page for the larger countries. I've been pleased with it and planning a world geography curriculum for the next two years based on the Kingfisher geography book.

FYI--I haven't seen this book (The Kingfisher Geography Encyclopedia), but the one linked to above was published in 2003. There appears to be a second edition published in 2011. The Amazon listing doesn't describe exactly what was updated, but said that it is revised:

http://www.amazon.com/Kingfisher-Geography-Encyclopedia-2nd/dp/0753465752/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1324869481&sr=1-2

FYI--I haven't seen this book (The Kingfisher Geography Encyclopedia), but the one linked to above was published in 2003. There appears to be a second edition published in 2011. The Amazon listing doesn't describe exactly what was updated, but said that it is revised:

http://www.amazon.com/Kingfisher-Geography-Encyclopedia-2nd/dp/0753465752/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1324869481&sr=1-2

I saw the revised one after I purchased the 2003 version. I've been very pleased with all the Kingfisher Encyclopedias we own so I'm sure the updated one is no different in quality. I just can't comment directly on the 2011 edition.