Menu

My Christmas Tree transformation is complete

I realized this year that my Christmas tree transformation is complete. When I was a young married and we had just built our house, I spent days designing my "perfect" tree with non-traditional matching themed items (silk & dried botanicals, yards of tulle, gold wired bows) chosen to coordinate with our house. I even made custom glass ball ornaments I made to match. I would have never put anything on my tree that wasn't perfectly a part of the overall design I pictured. I thought it looked fabulous... then.

That was about 15 years ago.

This year, there is not a single "designer" anything on the tree. It is 100% child hand-crafted or gifted. There is tons of craft foam and construction paper, with precious photos of my children as angels or other Nativity characters or sitting on Santa's lap. Handprints in every medium imaginable. Lots of glitter and glue and popscicle sticks. There are a few store bought ornaments but those are gifts from special people or to commemorate certain events and all have names and dates recorded on them. The only "fancy" ornaments are the Lenox "Baby's First Christmas" I bought for each of them the year they were born.

I think it looks even more fabulous than anything I "designed"!

So share about your tree.

:001_smile: I love trees like that! Ours is a twenty year collection of ornaments, picked out to reflect the current interest of the recipient. It's pretty full right now, but each time I look at it I get a little sad...it won't be long before each girl will take her ornaments with her to start her own tree.

Reminds me of the year we saw my dad's fiancee's perfect designer tree. All pink and cream with matching ornaments placed perfectly. My sister and I looked at one another and said, "This is never going to work." :lol: (It didn't. She was a lovely woman, and my dad is a good man, but designer anything and my dad...not a good mix.)

My tree had always been...eclectic. ;) At least the kids are getting taller, so the ornaments aren't all bunched around the bottom of the tree!

Cat

We have a kitty (aka Bad Kitty) in the house this Christmas so we went to Hobby Lobby and just bought a bunch of cute, but plastic!, ornaments. Tucked away are all the sentimental or easily broken ornaments. I miss my regular tree, but I do know this will be a Christmas we remember. As in, Remember the time Bad Kitty knocked all the lower branches out of the tree? Remember the time we found Bad Kitty at the top of the tree, just laying across the branches? :tongue_smilie: The fact that it is still standing is pretty amazing.

We have a kitty (aka Bad Kitty) in the house this Christmas so we went to Hobby Lobby and just bought a bunch of cute, but plastic!, ornaments. Tucked away are all the sentimental or easily broken ornaments. I miss my regular tree, but I do know this will be a Christmas we remember. As in, Remember the time Bad Kitty knocked all the lower branches out of the tree? Remember the time we found Bad Kitty at the top of the tree, just laying across the branches? :tongue_smilie: The fact that it is still standing is pretty amazing.

:lol: This cracked me up- "Bad Kitty Christmas". :lol: