Menu

The $79 Kindle. . .

Some questions about it:

-No color, right?

-E-ink, yes?

-Needs to connect to computer via USB in order to download anything, yes?

-Can you use it to borrow books from libraries?

I'm wondering if this might be a reasonable thing to buy for the kids at some point. If it is something DD could use at bedtime without a big light on, it might be great for her, but we don't buy a lot of books; we borrow them from the library, so if I couldn't do that, it wouldn't be a good plan. Needing to connect to the computer via USB is a good thing.

Okay, I looked at it on amazon; it does appear that it could have the option of Wifi or not. What about the screensavers/ads -- are they child-friendly?

Do libraries generally have good selections for the Kindles, for kid/preteen chapter books?

Edited by happypamama

I have a $79 Kindle that came with my CPA class (for my textbooks.)

No color.

Not touch screen. This is particularly difficult for me, as typing on the on-screen keyboard is tedious. The onscreen keyboard isn't even in Qwerty format.

E-ink? - I don't know what that means.

Have to be hooked through USB? No. It has wireless capabilities and you can download that way.

Kindle books from the library? Yes, you can from my library, but they don't have much yet. The availability started November 2nd, so I assume it will get better as time goes on.

I wouldn't buy it for my child simply because it is cumbersome to use. My 13yo received a tablet for Christmas from my aunt and mother. It was $90 and would be much more functional than my Kindle (and you can get a Kindle App for it.) It is touch screen (but not super sensitive - it came with a stylus, but I was just able to type with my finger nail.)

I am glad I didn't pay for my Kindle as I would have been very disappointed.

Some questions about it:

-No color, right? Right

-E-ink, yes? Yes

-Needs to connect to computer via USB in order to download anything, yes? No, you can use wireless.

-Can you use it to borrow books from libraries? Yes.

I'm wondering if this might be a reasonable thing to buy for the kids at some point. If it is something DD could use at bedtime without a big light on, it might be great for her, but we don't buy a lot of books; we borrow them from the library, so if I couldn't do that, it wouldn't be a good plan. Needing to connect to the computer via USB is a good thing. It isn't backlit, it would need the same amount of light as a regular book. You can turn the wifi off, but a child might be able to put it back on if they knew what they were doing.

Okay, I looked at it on amazon; it does appear that it could have the option of Wifi or not. What about the screensavers/ads -- are they child-friendly? All have wifi, not all have 3G. The screensavers are fine for children. I've never seen anything objectionable on them

Do libraries generally have good selections for the Kindles, for kid/preteen chapter books? That completely depends on your library. Ours does. I'm reading The Phantom Tollbooth to my daughter from a Kindle library book right now, for example.

:001_smile:

And can I just say that I love mine and plan on getting some for my kids when they are old/responsible enough? They have AMAZING customer service. Mine was having some problems and although it is out of warrenty, they are sending me a replacement anyways. No hassle hardly at all.

Just a note about the typing on the Kindle, I rarely use that feature. I have an older Kindle that is probably similar to the $79 one. The only time I have to type is when I do a search for a book at the Kindle store. But I usually use my laptop to find stuff and buy it and then turn on my Kindle to download it so I don't even have to type then.

I haven't yet borrowed a library book. My libary doesn't have much available and the ones that are available have waiting lists. I was flabbergasted when I signed on my library site and realized I would have to put a hold on an ebook and wait my turn. I just didn't realize my county was that hip to have so many e-readers! :tongue_smilie:

FWIW, there are some free Kindle books at Amazon. I search by category and then have it sort by price low to high.

Oh, and like someone else said, the screen isn't backlit. I can't read it in dim light anymore than I can read a physical book in dim light. I had to buy a booklight for it. And I don't like it much. I might need a new one.