Menu

Funny Story

So we have been studying the Ancient Egyptians with my 8YO. My 5YO usually listens in and we have just started doing narration with her. They have both been enjoying it but I realized that I neglected some things with my 5YO the other day. Here's what happened - I thought you all might get a kick out of it:

A sweet, elderly man from our church, Bob, died. We were talking about going to the visitation when I noticed that DD2 had a handful of notes. I asked her what they were.

"Love notes for me to give to Mr. Bob," she says.

"Oh," I say, "You know, you can't really give the love notes to Mr. Bob. You could take them and give them to his sons if you want."

"No, mama. They are for Mr. Bob."

"But, baby, there won't really be a way to give them to him. It's a really sweet idea and I bet they would help his sons feel better if you gave the notes to them."

"But mama!" (lower lip starting to tremble) "Mr. Bob needs them so when he gets to the underworld and Osiris weighs his heart, they will know what a good man he is. I don't want the crocodile to eat his heart! He needs these notes!" (full on crying now)

So I take her on my lap and remind her that those are things that they believed a long time ago and that we believe in God and heaven and etc.

But still when we get to the visitation, I heard her say, very sweetly, to an elder of our church, "I know that Mr. Bob will have a good life in the underworld." :lol:

Clearly I have some work to do.