Menu

So I've made my decision...good bye Facebook

I'm not a defector of facebook because I have aggressively resisted ever using it. I have never had a facebook account and I am certain that I NEVER will!! :D From it's birth I have always had a problem with the privacy issues and drama and have personally opted to not be a part of it.

I do not want my kids to get caught up in facebook either. I feel that by my taking a stand and refusing to have an account it will solidify to them the negatives involved.

Anyway, just wanted to welcome you to the dark side. :lol: I have always felt like a facebook outcast because all of my friends, relatives, etc. use it but I just personally have always chosen not to.

I do not understand that worry either. You are not required to include personal identifying information other than your name, nor are you required to post a photo.

I keep wondering why people are so afraid of it, too?

It's just a tool, like any other kind of technology. Using it requires common sense. Choosing not to use it is perfectly valid, if it makes you uncomfortable or if it holds no interest. But I don't understand the need to be dramatic about it.

Of course the internet is not a safe place. It's just like the world.

I like Facebook, although I do get irritable that they keep changing the format. It has allowed me to re-connect with people I hadn't spoken to in years, including people I had tried to find and contact. It allows me to keep in touch with people I know who aren't geographically close anymore.

Does it do anything that e-mail or a phone call wouldn't? Not really. I'm not a fan of phones and wouldn't use that means of communication at all if I could avoid it. Facebook does make certain things more convenient. Instead of sending an e-mail to 50 people, one can post on Facebook and allow those who are interested to read it. Things that might fall into the category of casual conversation or small talk -- that might be too trivial to be worth e-mailing to those 50 people -- can be shared quickly and casually on Facebook.

Are the "relationships" I have with some of my Facebook "friends" shallow? Sure. It doesn't take the place of real, in-person, meaningful conversation. But it does maintain connections better than any other method I've tried.

I should also mention that my daughter found Facebook necessary when she was in college, because many of her professors communicated that way. The casts of all of her recent shows have communicated on Facebook. And nowadays we find that many or most of the audition notices in our area are posted on Facebook and nowhere else.

I played around with Google + a little bit at one point and was unimpressed. Of course, part of that is that everyone I know uses Facebook. So, there wasn't a lot of point for me to invest the time in researching.

For what it's worth, I've had a LOT more drama here on these boards than I ever have on Facebook.

I'm sorry your account was compromised, Halcyon. That has to be upsetting.

Edited by Jenny in Florida

Google plus is simply WAY more focused on "who gets to see what". You can group people into "circles" and only the circles you specify will get to see what you post. I prefer it. Plus, there are fewer ads, apps, distractions, feeds and what had you. I feel much more in control of my information there. Not sure how accurate that is, however. Before I get more into it, I am going to search for information on google plus privacy.

Thanks for this. I may give it a try after the holidays.

I don't get it, either. Most of the people I know who leave FB "for safety" are ones who haven't put up boundaries for themselves in the first place and are getting bit in the behind from sharing too much. :confused: I actually cringe when I read personal and/or uncomfortable info that shouldn't be put out there (like dueling divorcees who show just how bitterly the process is going through their sorely unsubtle stabs at one another or who share how their new dating life is going--I'm sure their kids love that--LOL) so I'm OK with those folks leaving.

For what it's worth, I've had a LOT more drama here on these boards than I ever have on Facebook.

:iagree:

I'm MUCH more concerned about making sure not to post pictures of my kids or their names on my homeschool blog. While I LOVE reading blogs that do have these things, it makes me feel very uneasy that anyone in the world can look at it. (I have a private blog for pictures and whatnot.)

I was even reading a homeschool blog where the mom listed her address. Talk about scary. :blink: I guess everyone has their own boundaries.