Menu

s/o FLAT cookies -- My butterballs went flat too -- that has never happened!

Thank you -- I don't think it is the AGA either -- I did remember a few minutes ago that I typically use butter flavored crisco and this year I used butter. Last year I didn't bake cookies (all the stuff with Stacey going on) so it completely slipped my mind to buy crisco.

But, you are correct, it is NOt the AGA.

Here is the butter ball recipe that is in the oven right now:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/italian-butterball-cookies/

They are super easy which is why I am so shocked that they flattened -- but I think it is the lack of crisco. my mom made these always when I was growing up -- everyone we know makes them.

Thank you -- I don't think it is the AGA either -- I did remember a few minutes ago that I typically use butter flavored crisco and this year I used butter. Last year I didn't bake cookies (all the stuff with Stacey going on) so it completely slipped my mind to buy crisco.

But, you are correct, it is NOt the AGA.

Here is the butter ball recipe that is in the oven right now:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/italian-butterball-cookies/

They are super easy which is why I am so shocked that they flattened -- but I think it is the lack of crisco. my mom made these always when I was growing up -- everyone we know makes them.

Lots of people know them by their "other" names. Mexican Wedding Cakes, Russian Tea Cakes, but you are the FIRST person out side of my family that ever called them Butterballs! I can still see the recipe in my Mom's cookbook. I have personally been making them for well, over 40 years and it is currently the only cookie I make. I participate in a cookie exchange and they are always requested.

Sorry about them going flat..I have never had that happen.

Lots of people know them by their "other" names. Mexican Wedding Cakes, Russian Tea Cakes, but you are the FIRST person out side of my family that ever called them Butterballs! I can still see the recipe in my Mom's cookbook. I have personally been making them for well, over 40 years and it is currently the only cookie I make. I participate in a cookie exchange and they are always requested.

Sorry about them going flat..I have never had that happen.

Isn't THAT funny? Everyone in our family and in our circle of family friends calls them butterballs.

If it calls for baking powder that could be the culprit if it is outdated. I found out the hard way when I made something that called for baking powder. I found out it was flat due to outdated baking powder.

Holly

Well, the second batch I used the recipe I linked to above -- they came out really well-- the first recipe (which didn't call for baking powder) called for more butter and higher temp and they came out flat.

Only thing I would do differently in the recipe linked above is that I wouldn't use almond extract -- only vanilla. Otherwise, they turned out well and everyone at our potluck loved them.