Menu

Ackk! Just sent ds off to take first SAT II

This is his first "real" test (we standardize test every year, but we do it at home, so it doesn't feel the same).

He's taking the SAT II in Biology -- which only this morning did I figure out might not have been the best idea for a freshman. His dream school requires a science, a history and a foreign language SAT II for homeschoolers. He's not a science guy, so we figured we might as well get this one out of the way. The curriculum we used covered everything in the review books he used (Barron and Princeton), so it never occurred to me that the majority of kids taking this exam are AP Bio students. He took 6 practice tests and scored between 600 and 700, which I know is okay but not fantastic. I know we have a few days to cancel the test before we know the score, and just chalk this up as a learning experience, but I'm afraid that could build the whole test taking thing into a big psychological boogey for him.

He is soooo nervous, and I am so nervous for him (not that he knows that!) And now I'm second guessing my decision to have him take this test at this time.

Well, Dad drove him over there, and so it will all be behind us by 9:00 am.

Just breathe...

Maura

Maura,

I'm with you. My husband drove my son this morning because I am a wreck as well which is just ridiculous given that my 10th grade son has already done the AP Bio test and has taken the ACT twice (state accountability purposes).

All I can say is: :grouphug:

Jane

My dd did the Bio SAT as a freshman. If your son ends up somewhere requiring SAT II taking them now is a good idea. If he does really well great. If not he'll have an idea of the type of test they are and the importance of studying for them. He can always take a different SAT science down the road.

I also did not realize how hard it is to get a high percentile in the test. I had read that it was the material of a first year high school course, but did not realize that many people took it after AP Bio.

Still it was a good experience and dd realized how hard some kids really work at school. Most of her homeschooled friends do not follow a rigorous course of study.

His dream school requires a science, a history and a foreign language SAT II for homeschoolers. He's not a science guy, so we figured we might as well get this one out of the way. The curriculum we used covered everything in the review books he used (Barron and Princeton), so it never occurred to me that the majority of kids taking this exam are AP Bio students. He took 6 practice tests and scored between 600 and 700, which I know is okay but not fantastic. I know we have a few days to cancel the test before we know the score, and just chalk this up as a learning experience, but I'm afraid that could build the whole test taking thing into a big psychological boogey for him.

I wouldn't cancel. He will probably be fine. If not, have him take another science, the college will consider the one with the highest score according to the admissions pages we've seen.

HTH

I'm there with you, Maura - my older ds just got dome taking the SAT II chem test this morning at our local CC. For the past few weeks he has put aside his regular chemistry (Apologia 2nd yr) to foucus on preparing for this test. The test prep book provided 3 sample tests (and lots of typos!) - his sample test scores ranges from mid 600s to low 700s. He thinks/hopes he did well on the real exam - he was able to get through the entire test, choosing to skip the questions with too much math. I am going to take many "cleansing breaths" while waiting for scores!

I would love to hear how your ds does! I am hoping to prepare my younger ds to take the Bio SAT II as a freshman, as well. Thanks for blazing the trail!

Blessings,

April

For all your encouragement - my dd always ended up with a higher 'real' result than the scores she got on the practice tests.

And, as one poster said - these really are no big deal. If they score too low, they can just try another one.

I registered my dd for the heard of the 2 math SAT II tests, by mistake and by the time I realized it they said it was too late to change. My dd was not impressed with me, as math is not her thing, but I told her to try anyway and she could do the other math the next time. Well, I felt pretty bad about it - but when the results came out - she had 730 (or somewhere close ... after a few months you don't even remember the scores!) So, you never know!

Meryl

• 4 weeks later...